Planted + 24/7 Hanging kit? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planted + 24/7 Hanging kit?

Hey guys. I currently have an AI Prime over my 27 gallon cube tank that I just converted from reef to planted. I am looking at replacing that light with a planted + 24/7, however I will need to hang the light as the tank is in-wall.

So, question is, Is there a hanging kit Finnex makes for the light, is there a third party, or will I have to DIY it? Also while I'm asking questions, is this light watertight from evaporation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Algae Grower

hmm why are u switching to planted 24/7? isn't AI Prime good enough? I'm thinking of getting an AI Prime for my ADA 45P
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

My thoughts exactly. The prime should do anything you want it to as far as plants are concerned and the prime has 1000 times more programmability than the 24/7. To answer your question though, I havnt seen any hanging kits for the 24/7. Since it shares a very similar aesthetic design as the stingray fixtures (leg design and mounting, slim fixture) I really wished finnex would have made the hanging inserts, like the stingrays have, for the 24/7. But they didn't and I'm not sure why not, would have worked great imo.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I love my AI Prime, However for some reason no matter what Kelvin I set the light at within 6500K-10,000K the color is very orange and yellow in my aquarium, making it very dim in the tank compared to what I know is capable. So I feel I need something that has more white to it, and from what I have read on here, the 24/7 is the best option. Unless there is something even better than the 24/7 available.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info on the prime, I'm considering it for a 12" cube reef. With your tank being a 27 gallon cube, I'm assuming it's 18" square? If so, you may need 2-24/7's depending how techy your setup is going be. Low tech/light, I think one would be just fine. High tech/light/carpet plants, May need 2 fixtures for optimal light coverage at the substrate. Good thing is you can dim it so too much light shouldn't be a problem, even with 2 lights. OR, you could supliment your prime with a cooler white stunner strip or something for aesthetic purposes. Also on second thought, if your tank is 18" cube, I believe the shortest 24/7 fixture is 24" so that may have to be taken into consideration but for price and quality and results, IMO nothing beats finnex. If price is no concern, maybe look into buildmyled.com, a sponser here. One fixture will run you at least 2x the price of the finnex but great lights if you don't mind the price.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my cube is 20x18x18. I actually didn't even think of just doing a white stunner strip. Don't get me wrong the Prime was incredible over my reef when it was in this cube, Par values at the bottom of the tank were sufficient for at least LPS, so dont be afraid of getting a prime for a reef. My only problem is that I can't get a white enough color, and over my reef I had the prime set at around 18K because I love the blue look in a reef. I think I will stick with the prime and just supplement. Probably the cheapest and simplest route as well.

Also they do have a 20" 24/7 luckily if I do end up going that route.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:45 AM
Algae Grower

I dont think they have a 20" 24/7 but I just looked at my 24" model and the total length the led board is 20.25" with about 2 inches of fixture on each end and the legs can be slid inward indefinitely so as long as you don't mind a little fixture overhang (no light overspill since your tank is 20") it should work great but being that your tank is 18" front to back, you still may need 2 for coverage depending on the amount of "tech" you are going for.

I do think a stunner light to create the right color would be a cheaper option though especially since you already have the prime. I think Current has a RGB led strip with a remote similar to the 24/7 that's just a strip of lights, kind of like a rope light.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've come to the conclusion that the orangish brown color is being caused by tannins. Started running some extra carbon in my filter and it seems to be lightening up some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode