Finnex Ray 2 Photo Period - The Planted Tank Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Finnex Ray 2 Photo Period

For those of you who have a Finnex Ray 2, how long do you run your light fixture? I know the general rule for aquarium lighting has always been 10-12 hours, but I've been running into random threads from LED fixture owners who say that they've had to reduce their photo periods. Thanks.
rcs0926 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,695
duration is only one factor... light intensity, largely dependent on the elevation of the light above the substrate and plant density.

i run 6 hours then progressively extend to 8 when i spend time in my fish room.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
acitydweller is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
BeastMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 866
My original 24 hr cycle (6am start) was 3 on, 7 off, 7 on, 7 off with good plant growth success and no algae problems after the tanks reached an equilibrium. Tried an increase to 12 hour "on" total and went to 6 on, 4 off, 6 on, 8 off and experienced algae problems. Readjusted back to 10 hour "on" total with a 5 on, 6 off, 5 on 8 off sked which with the help of a week long Excel treatment resolved the algae spurt. For me anyways, it looks like keeping the total photo period at the low end (10 hrs) for not only Finnex lamps but other LED lamps (Ehiem, Archaea, Up Aqua) that illuminate my planted tanks. Hope that helps.

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
My original 24 hr cycle (6am start) was 3 on, 7 off, 7 on, 7 off with good plant growth success and no algae problems after the tanks reached an equilibrium. Tried an increase to 12 hour "on" total and went to 6 on, 4 off, 6 on, 8 off and experienced algae problems. Readjusted back to 10 hour "on" total with a 5 on, 6 off, 5 on 8 off sked which with the help of a week long Excel treatment resolved the algae spurt. For me anyways, it looks like keeping the total photo period at the low end (10 hrs) for not only Finnex lamps but other LED lamps (Ehiem, Archaea, Up Aqua) that illuminate my planted tanks. Hope that helps.
This sounds great. I think I'll try using your photo period.
rcs0926 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
I think I'll start the lights up at 6AM so that I can see my tank in the morning before I go to work and let it run until 11AM. The lights won't come on again until 5PM, which is nice because they'll turn on in time for me to come back home from work and enjoy my tank during the evening.
rcs0926 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
BeastMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 866
That's what works for me too on both counts. I know that CO2, planting & animal stocking levels factor into this but finding the tank's settled equilibrium point is the key and then adjusting from there to optimized your system. Good luck.

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
That's what works for me too on both counts. I know that CO2, planting & animal stocking levels factor into this but finding the tank's settled equilibrium point is the key and then adjusting from there to optimized your system. Good luck.
Do you have your fixture raised or just mounted using the standard clip mounts?
rcs0926 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa
 
TexasCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,510
Split photoperiods are useful in two instances. When you have a non-CO2 tank to let the CO2 build back up between on cycles and to help "extend" your viewing times for the day. If you have pressurized CO2, there is not much value in a split outside of viewing times.
TexasCichlid is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Split photoperiods are useful in two instances. When you have a non-CO2 tank to let the CO2 build back up between on cycles and to help "extend" your viewing times for the day. If you have pressurized CO2, there is not much value in a split outside of viewing times.
I have DIY CO2, so I'm assuming this should help.
rcs0926 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa
 
TexasCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs0926 View Post
I have DIY CO2, so I'm assuming this should help.
If you feel like your plants demand for CO2 is outstripping the supply of your DIY, then yes.
TexasCichlid is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
BeastMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs0926 View Post
Do you have your fixture raised or just mounted using the standard clip mounts?
On all of my tanks the fixtures at mounted onto the tanks.

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
On all of my tanks the fixtures at mounted onto the tanks.
Good to know. Thanks.
rcs0926 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome