Hot transformers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hot transformers

I have 4 Finnex lights, 3 Fugeray of various lengths and 1 24/7. I noticed that the transformers get really hot. Does anyone else notice this? It's hot enough that I can only grasp it for a few seconds. It's a concern to me.

One of them already failed and I had to replace it. I used one with the same output voltage but rated at higher amperage.

I think that Finnex should take another look at their design for the transformer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

I have two Finnex 24/7 48". The transformers are KL-48A (15V 48W). They are both warm. It is ~3pm, so they have both been running at mid-day intensity for ~3hrs. I strapped an aquarium thermometer to the transform for 20 minutes, and it reads 105.8 degrees (+- 1 degree).

I doubt Finnex actually makes the transformers. They just put a label on it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

be careful

This sounds like a serious fire hazard!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
I have 4 Finnex lights, 3 Fugeray of various lengths and 1 24/7. I noticed that the transformers get really hot. Does anyone else notice this? It's hot enough that I can only grasp it for a few seconds. It's a concern to me.

One of them already failed and I had to replace it. I used one with the same output voltage but rated at higher amperage.

I think that Finnex should take another look at their design for the transformer.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Compared the heat that 500W Metal Halides put out over the older SW reef settups, that's on the cool side.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Children Boogie

Cheap power supplies tend to overheat with short shelf life. From reading reviews on Amazon, there are a few burnouts. For now move it away from anything flammable.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

transformer

LED Troubleshooting - LED Power Supply Issues

Maybe he should immerse the transformers in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Cheap power supplies tend to overheat with short shelf life. From reading reviews on Amazon, there are a few burnouts. For now move it away from anything flammable.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
LED Troubleshooting - LED Power Supply Issues

Maybe he should immerse the transformers in the tank?
Huh what now?!
Electricity and water don't mix. Toaster in bath tub situation.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin12 View Post
I have two Finnex 24/7 48". The transformers are KL-48A (15V 48W). They are both warm. It is ~3pm, so they have both been running at mid-day intensity for ~3hrs. I strapped an aquarium thermometer to the transform for 20 minutes, and it reads 105.8 degrees (+- 1 degree).

I doubt Finnex actually makes the transformers. They just put a label on it.

They don't make the transformers but they specify the rating on them. I'm thinking that the transformers could be underrated for the power requirements of the LEDs. Finnex should look into this issue. Running the transformers so hot likely reduces their lifetime.

The one I replaced actually had a melting plastic smell to it. I got a DC transformer off an auction site which has slightly higher power rating. I can take a picture of it later if anyone is interested. I cut the wires off and resoldered the connections. Now the new one feels only slightly warm to the touch. I'm debating whether to try to swap out one of the other ones too - on the 36" just to confirm.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
The one I replaced actually had a melting plastic smell to it. I got a DC transformer off an auction site which has slightly higher power rating. I can take a picture of it later if anyone is interested. I cut the wires off and resoldered the connections. Now the new one feels only slightly warm to the touch. I'm debating whether to try to swap out one of the other ones too - on the 36" just to confirm.
good, that's the way to do it. If you have those infrared thermometer, you can read the temperature on these things.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have another 36" Finnex Fugeray that had its DC power supply go bad. Red LEDs start flashing when it's powered on. I replaced the power supply and now it's working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode