Planted+ 24/7 More Advice - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Planted+ 24/7 More Advice

Note: I posted in lighting, then thought it might better go here...

I have an established 60g tank with silica (pool filter) sand substrate. I planted after I got the 48" Planted+ 24/7. In 24/7 mode I am getting a lot of algae as the plants aren't established enough to out compete. In addition to reducing nutrients (water changes, algae scrubbing, and backing off on fert dosing), I'll use a custom light setting for lighting to reduce the midday brightness 24/7 provides. But it's a bit of 'by guess or by gosh'.
Does anyone have a custom setting 'recipe' that might fit the above circumstance???
I'm thinking I need something like:
Push W, then down arrow 2-4 (60% - 80% White)
Red arrow, up 2-4 (20%-40% Red)

Help appreciated.

Footnote: I love the 24/7 feature, but need to stop the algae before it gets out of hand until the balance occurs and the plants get a chance to dominate over algae.
Attached Images

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After scouring this and the lighting forum I realize that Algae bloom is a common issue with this light in 24/7 mode. As suggested here, I've applied two layers of fiberglass window screen as shade cloth to reduce the light intensity from noon-3pm. Once the plants are more established and/or I get floating plants, I'll adjust/remove the screen as necessary.

Tank On, Mike-
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
After scouring this and the lighting forum I realize that Algae bloom is a common issue with this light in 24/7 mode. As suggested here, I've applied two layers of fiberglass window screen as shade cloth to reduce the light intensity from noon-3pm. Once the plants are more established and/or I get floating plants, I'll adjust/remove the screen as necessary.

How long have you had your tank?

I am using the same light as well. At first I did start to get multiple types of algae. From what I understand that is to be expected with any newly planted tank. I finally got to the point where the algae was really bothering me. I double dosed excel and it killed off the algae very quickly. I still have a bit of a fight with gsa but from what I've been reading that's more an issue with low phosphates that I'm currently trying to correct.

I run the 24/7 on 24/7 mode and don't seem to have any massive algae problem. I also starting dosing all of the seachem ferts with their weekly schedule. I added a nano pump as well to increase flow a bit. The nano pump comes on at the same time my co2 does. Since I have discus I don't want a huge amount of flow all the time.

Otos also have really helped. They eat up the algae like crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0577_1465146599369.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	639705  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I thought I'd come back to report success. After a couple of days with the window screen shade cloth and some algae scrubbing during a water change, the algae was at bay. I had also added two bags of Fluval Clearmax to my filters as a temporary measure to reduce nitrates and phosphates.
I continue to run in 24/7 mode...I'm using Flourish root tabs for rooted plants and am dosing slightly with Flourish Comp and Trace. The plants are doing really well.
Attached Images

Tank On, Mike-
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

and a month or so later...
Attached Images

Waterski likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What works for me on my 55,is a mat of hornwort,anacharis,guppy grass,frogbit and water lettuce.I have to keep pulling guppy grass and hornwort,but I leave the 24/7 running and no algae .I also have been putting scraps of my wife's houseplants that break off into the HOB,and I believe they help soak up excess nutrients as well.They almost completely cover the top of the light and the lid,looks kinda cool.

55 gal,35 hex 45 planted,5 gal betta tank,Spec V,NUVO Fusion 10.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
What works for me on my 55,is a mat of hornwort,anacharis,guppy grass,frogbit and water lettuce.I have to keep pulling guppy grass and hornwort,but I leave the 24/7 running and no algae .I also have been putting scraps of my wife's houseplants that break off into the HOB,and I believe they help soak up excess nutrients as well.They almost completely cover the top of the light and the lid,looks kinda cool.
Thanks. I'm toying with adding Anacharis for the nitrate soaking, but the algae is under control and with a 24" depth I'm reluctant to add floating plants that might light starve the low growing plants...when I used the window screen as shade cloth for a couple of days, I nearly killed the dwarf sag. As my wisteria continues to grow, I may trim some of that to float - I'll see how it goes.

Tank On, Mike-
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

Wisteria is immortal I swear lol any broken off part will sprout roots and it can become insanely invasive. It should work well for you by floating it and since you already have it, why not.

I salvaged a single 6" stem of wisteria from petsmart and it literally filled my low tech 26 bowfront in about 4 months. It loves being pruned and goes even crazier if you add co2.

It will also start throwing out terrestrial leaves pretty easily when floated that can be transferred to an emersed setup or something or just let em keep growing. I did that in a 5 gallon bucket on my porch and it worked out pretty decent until it got over 90 degrees outside.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRob View Post
Wisteria is immortal I swear lol any broken off part will sprout roots and it can become insanely invasive. It should work well for you by floating it and since you already have it, why not.
My wisteria came from Petsmart in a plastic tube with gel. It had been grown immersed so it had broad leaves. Once in my tank, new leaves grew feather like. I let it grow awhile, then cut and replanted the 5 or 6 stems with some root tabs and it's really taken off. I'll soon need to trim at which point I think I'll have some floaters. I do need to be careful though because of my 24" depth, I don't want too much shade down under or some plants may suffer.

Tank On, Mike-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

So people talk about double dosing excel, what exactly are you doing, for say a 29g? I have algae problems that are getting a LITTLE better by only running my light for a few hours a day, but I'd like to get it killed, then work my way forward. My plants are growing, but I think they need more time with the light as I have a low-tech tank.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm not a fan of Excel - Many use it, but glutaraldehyde is a toxic chemical used to sterilize heat sensitive medical/dental equipment.

Early on, I let the algae grow behind a bubble bar (see photo then and now) on the left side of my tank*. The bubble bar keeps water (and nutrients) flowing over the algae. This gets the algae to use nutrients while the plants were growing and the tank was on it's way towards balance.
(I kept the other glass scrubbed clean). Then after a time, I cut fiberglass window screen to lay on the canape below the light to act as a shade cloth (a tip I picked up here). After a couple of days, the algae was beat and I removed the window screen and scrubbed the side wall.

* I didn't invent this. Algae 'scrubbers' are sometimes used inside tanks and/or growing algae in refugiums to keep it out of tanks. The shade cloth was just the 'algae death blow'. Note: in theory, similarly, letting algae grow on the back wall, may limit/prevent it from growing elsewhere.
Attached Images

Tank On, Mike-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Algae Grower

I am not sure how to do a refugium. I already have a decent number of plants, and the algae amount seems to be decreasing, but it's very slow, taking weeks to get to where I am. I was just thinking that if tye excel, that I already have and use could make a speedier process, I would be interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode