This tank used to be my old 75 gallon journal but it ended in a big algae mess and realized I made some mistakes along the way. I was still very new to it all. Now with much much more experience and knowledge, I decided to redo the whole tank. Plus my angelfish really appreciate a better looking tank, at least I think they do and they deserve one. Enough of the background information, lets get to the good stuff!
The tank was already running with old original flourite, a nice established canister, and some alage. All I needed to do was scrub it, drain it, swap the substrate, replant with new driftwood, and start over. No cycling occured so my Angels were happy with that!
The tank is a 75 gallon tank with the following specs:
Substrate: Flourite Black Sand (about 2 - 3 inches)
Lighting: 8 Hour photo period with an Aqueon 48" Triple T8 fixture:
(2) 32 watt GE Daylight Deluxe 6500k bulbs
(1) Aqueon 32 watt Floramax Bulb.
Also a DIY LED moonlight system just for fun! Used for about 2 hours after lights off.
Filtration: Rena XP3 and a Marineland Magnum 350 which is being used to drive my CO2 reactor plus extra filtration. Also have a Koralia 750 for extra circulation.
CO2: 5 lb Pressurized with Aquatek Regulator, drop checker with 4dkh solution. Still working on an actual working diffusion method...
Plants: Amazon Sword, Ozelot Sword, Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila sp. Tiger, various crypts (many various wendtii like bronze, green, tropica, plus other crypt species), Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia repens, Echinodorus tenellus (I think!), Anubias nana, Nymphaea sp., and frogbit floating. Possibly more to come with time.
Fish: 1 Phillipine Blue Pinoy Veiled Zebra Angelfish, 1 Phillipine Blue Platinum Marble Veiled Angelfish, 2 Phillipine Blue x Wild Peruvian Green Glitter (F2) Angelfish, 17 Rasbora Hets, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 9 Rummynose Tetras, 5 Otocinclus Catfish, and about 10 Red Spotted Nerite Snails.
Dosing and Maintenance: I dose with dry ferts. Currently dosing Macros once a week and Traces once a week. Dose size is equivelent to EI dosing but only dosing each once per week. Water change once a week usually around 30% to 50%.
I'll will post some pics up in the next post. So far the tank has been up for two to three weeks only so far. My CO2 diffusion methods have been not succesful yet. First tried a ceramic diffuser and the drop checker only would turn a shade of green, not too bright though. Then tried an 18" Rex Reactor but got small bubbles constantly and can't seem to get the drop checker above a dull green too. So now I'm in the process of building a Cerges Reactor now so we shall see.
Currently battling some diatoms but have otos and nerites for that. I also now have GSA forming and some BBA poking its head in on my Amazon Sword and driftwood. Currently dosing excel with recommend dosing according to bottle to try to prevent the BBA but so far I don't see any prevention.
Any tips, feedback, advice, or anything, please let me hear it! Pics coming up in a few minutes from iPhone 4. Then in the next few days I'll be busting out the digital camera for some much better pics!