The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Complete newbs DIY 1st time aquarium
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
Complete newbs DIY 1st time aquarium

My gf mentioned that she wanted a goldfish so we grabbed a 10 gallon tank and bought a dozen feeder fish from walmart. They died. Grabbed another dozen feeder fish from petco. They died.

At this point I got interested and decided to get involved. I'm not the biggest fan of either walmart of petco when it comes to selling animals. I was once a big reptile enthusiast and it greatly pained me to see the local Petco's reptile selection and the health of their stock. I can't afford spending big bucks on nicer fish stores so I decided to head to the local pond.

I currently have the 10 gallon with a plain gravel bottom, small water pump with DIY carbon filter, and a few locally collected water plants and fish. Two western mosquito fish, two unknown guppies, and I believe a local minnow. Also have three pacific tree frog tadpoles, a couple oarsmen, snails, damselfly larvae, and I believe a springtail larvae.

No idea on the flora:

I don't like the looks of this tank one bit and would like to make something a bit more spectacular. The past couple days I've been scouting craigslist for tanks and all I came up with was a 20gallon with filter for $10:

I recently moved and had to deconstruct my captive bred blue belly's cage so I'm thinking I might throw him in the 20 gallon I just purchased and use his 30 gallon for my new planted tank:

I'm thinking a 2/3 full with 1/3 dry tank so that the tadpoles can develop. I'm experienced with growing terrestrial plants indoors and outdoors but know nothing about water plants. I know more than most about soil but very little about water.

We have local manzanita so I plan to go hiking in the next few days for my hardscape. I want to go low budget DIY with local flora and fauna and perhaps a couple tropicals. Lighting will be a DIY CFL fixture with reflector running 6500K bulbs. Might go with DIY CO2 but would prefer not to.

Yesterday I started testing my terrestrial supersoil in a tiny vase. This stuff is all organic and should be similar to miracle grow which I've seen people on this forum using. I also plan to populate this with a gang of triops - my favorite childhood toy

All help, comments, recommendations... are welcome. I'm totally new to this so I'll need help with the terms and abbreviations.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome