The Planted Tank Forum banner

AFA has lily pipe spin

10K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  Green_Flash 
#1 ·
Get them while they're in stock. You're welcome. :)

#7 ·
Actually, AFA and ADG are both ADA distributors for the US. They each order their own container of goods and sell them independently from each other.

AFA is not a regular LFS that buys its ADA products from ADG. Hence some price differences.

They can order their own container. Which is why they get products at different times of the year.

#10 ·
Lol I'm glad I live near adg because its always overnight shipping through ups even with just the ground option. That alongside the free shipping on some orders allows multiple items in one box for the same rate of $0 and rush shipping pretty much.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

#30 ·
How much water movement is created at the other end of the tank, especially since this filter is designed to handle high GPH flow. This information would be particularly helpful for those that keep high sensitive shrimp that aren't tolerant of strong water movement; this will also be helpful in plant/filter placement in a tank as certain plants don't like strong currents/water movement. If a plant receives too much movement it will stunt their growth or force them to grow in a direction that is unnatural.

I am also interested to see how much surface agitation this filter produces - too much surface agitation results in higher O2 exchange but more CO2 will be lost; will we need to increase the CO2 to compensate for the loss or higher gas exchange rate?

If you're spending $120+ on a single lily pipe wouldn't you like to know as much information about it - effectiveness/functionality/productiveness - especially when there are cheaper alternatives (albeit different design) widely available elsewhere?

#35 ·
I went to AFA a couple weeks ago and got to see the lily pipe in action. It is definitly an interesting piece. The flow, if you pick it up out of the water and watch it spin out (which they allowed me to do!!!) is actually pretty cool. Would I pay that much for lily pipes? No, I don't think it is worth it IMO, unless you have very secific need like people have mentioned earlier.

#37 ·
Interesting. Looks like the Spin pipe is specifically designed to be used with a much higher flow filter (ES-300? No idea on the lph/gph specs though) than what we're used to seeing on Mini tanks and the like, particularly the Eheim 2211~2217. The flow distribution should allow for much more efficient filtration of the aquarium water volume without giving too much concentrated flow. Well played, ADA. Perhaps we'll see some setups with Eheim 2215/2217s on Mini M tanks. :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.