The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 12.5G Tetras Tank with MTS Invasion (May 2011 - now)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
PTrader: (0/0%)
12.5G Tetras Tank with MTS Invasion (May 2011 - now)

Let me intro about my fish keeping background. When I was a teenager, I bought an Oscar and rear it in my dad's 50g tank.
I kept him for years, but he is alone in there for all those years. FInally, my dad gave him away because I went to study
abroad and nobody to take care of him.

Anyway, few years ago I thought of starting fish rearing again. But little did I know about it, since when I was rearing my oscar,
my dad set up and maintain the tank for me. I bought a 10gal and put in tap water, pour in the gravel, put in some plastic plants
and rocks, and a powerhead filter, and immediately put in some tetras (neon, rummy nose, baloon eyed, etc).
About 3-4 weeks later, one by one the fish died until all of them died. Many suffered ich and fin rot as well
Yes, I forgot to put the anti chlorine... ... I felt dumb.

Then few months later I start again, this time remembering to put anti chlorine. with some cichlids with 10 gal i kept 6 cichlids!!!
and true enough, one by one died due to fights. i was stubborn, not listening the advices given in the forums about overcrowding.
i tried to rearrange caves, plants, rocks.. but they still die from fights. and they also die from sickness such as dropsy,
and some sort of bacteria infections... Yes, I did WC once a month only.. Here are some pics of the tank when it houses
the cichlids.

And my Mbuna Cichlids:

After the death of my last cichlid, I decided to quit.

For a while that is, when a friend suggested me to start Planted Tank instead! I thought since the tank is lying around empty,
I gave planted tank a try. Of course my initial idea was just to have plants in the tank.. like an underwater forest that is nice to look at..
with no fish, it should be easier.

As I setup planted tank, I've came to learn about how to make the tank suitable for a plant -
the nitrogen cycling, the weekly water changes, fertilizers and CO2 injection.

and.. so I started Planted Tank.. for history of planted tank see Post #3 below.

The Current Tank Specs:
-Rimless OceanFree 12.5g with Curvy front edge. (i calculated the volume properly based on the dimension that i measure, it is actually 12.5g)
-ADA Amazonia Soil (Coarse Type)
-Lil bit of gravel for a "shore" kinda feeling lol
-AquaZonic Powerhead (1000L/h) with Top Box Filter (Scotch Brite sponges and some ceramic rings as bio media).
-AquaZonic Top Lamp - "Hacked" - fitted with 2x 11W CFL Bulbs (Control by timer from 12noon till 9pm).
-No CO2 (used to run DIY CO2 but got tired of making them)
-Liquid Ferts (dose weekly).
-Added aerator to combat algae (Feb 2012).

-Dwarf Sagittaria
-Bacopa Caroliniana
-Argentine Sword (or Melon Sword) unsure
-Water Sprite
-another stem plant (?)

-12 Cardinal Tetras
-2 Flying Fox
-Lots of Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Last edited by doncityz; 03-08-2012 at 03:55 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome