The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 3 gallon cookie jar
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 1,743
Thanks for all of the compliments. I took a couple more pictures of the tank and a few details of the lid/light for anyone who is interested.

This view is much closer to how the tank is actually viewed. I've got the room lights off so that the shimmer from the surface/LED interaction is more noticeable. It's fairly pronounced. You can also see how strongly a spotlight effect the light is giving this close to the water's surface. I wasn't really looking for that, and I'm a bit concerned that taller plants are going to lean toward the center after the light. It does get a fair amount of sunlight though, so this might not be as big an issue as I fear.

A closeup of the interior with a better view of the driftwood and stones at the bottom. My daughters have named the stones, rather than the fish or shrimp, Rocko and Rocky.

For anyone who is interested, in order to have the lid sit flush against the jar with air lines and electrical cords in place, I had to notch it a bit. This can be done with a rotary tool (Dremel or similar) and diamond tipped bits (fairly cheap to buy if you can find them.) I cut the jar by immersing the spot in a cake pan filled with water and taking my time. It was surprisingly quick work for such thick glass. I also had to drill a hole at the top of the handle for a screw, and I made a recessed area for a washer to rest. This was done with the rotary tool as well.

A detail of the light. If I had it to do over again, I'd have started with a 1.5" diameter bar. As it was I wasn't expecting to succeed and was just having a go at it before paying a machine shop to do it right. I eyeballed the center so it's off a bit, but only by about 1/32", so I'm far from upset with the outcome. The first drill was 1 1/8" then I went to a 1" bit for the second stage. My original plan was to cut a circle of acrylic to fit the opening so that it would be protected from water, but the LEDs generate enough heat that I decided against it. With later modifications (adding the second heatsink to the top and cutting slots in the walls of the tube portion of the housing, I might be able to go back to that plan. I'd like to, as it would make cleanup much simpler. Right now the LED is exposed to the water and can get some pretty yucky gunk on it from time to time. (fish poop got up there somehow at one point and was cooked onto the light...)

jasonpatterson is online now  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome