I need long precise tweezers...do you have any? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
I need long precise tweezers...do you have any?

Occasionally I'll see a thread of algae in my moss tank so I need something to remove it. I need a pretty precise tweezer or pinsettas (no idea on the difference between these two)....need them to be more than 12 inches long. Anything like this available?

thanks.
hedge_fund is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
A Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tempe, ASU
Posts: 7,228
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I have a pair of 24 inch long forceps with round tips.

They're sorta precise?

I'm not a fan I like the needle precision but my dad likes using them to stay dry while messing with the tanks.

What is your goal with the tool?

Longer slim tools are tough to get.

-Andrew
A Hill is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
I have a pair of 24 inch long forceps with round tips.

They're sorta precise?

I'm not a fan I like the needle precision but my dad likes using them to stay dry while messing with the tanks.

What is your goal with the tool?

Longer slim tools are tough to get.

-Andrew
Occasionally I'll find thread algae on my moss so I like to pluck it. I have some cheap 24 inch tweezers and sometimes it takes me 10 tries to grab the hair alage on my moss. I would like something that is very precise and longer than 15 inches.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
A Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tempe, ASU
Posts: 7,228
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Occasionally I'll find thread algae on my moss so I like to pluck it. I have some cheap 24 inch tweezers and sometimes it takes me 10 tries to grab the hair alage on my moss. I would like something that is very precise and longer than 15 inches.
My long pinsettes are about what you want but a few inches too short.

Would you consider getting your hands wet?

-Andrew
A Hill is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
My long pinsettes are about what you want but a few inches too short.

Would you consider getting your hands wet?

-Andrew
Yeah that's the whole point of getting longer pinsettes since I hate sticking my hands in the tank. I'm not in a rush but hit me up if there is something in the works...even in a few months.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
A Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tempe, ASU
Posts: 7,228
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Yeah that's the whole point of getting longer pinsettes since I hate sticking my hands in the tank. I'm not in a rush but hit me up if there is something in the works...even in a few months.
I could special order some but they wouldn't be cheap if they're just for you. I'll look into it though even at $30-$50 there may be a market for them since no one has anything like we are talking about.

Thanks for asking.

-Andrew
A Hill is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
I could special order some but they wouldn't be cheap if they're just for you. I'll look into it though even at $30-$50 there may be a market for them since no one has anything like we are talking about.

Thanks for asking.

-Andrew
Cool, let me know what you find.

thanks.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 189
I've got a solution to your algae problem... amano shrimp and nerite snails! hahaha, just kidding, I would actually like to acquire some precise tweezers myself, but I can't afford to shell out the cash right now
Trail_Mix is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Mix View Post
I've got a solution to your algae problem... amano shrimp and nerite snails! hahaha, just kidding, I would actually like to acquire some precise tweezers myself, but I can't afford to shell out the cash right now
I actually no longer have hair algae....amano shrimp and some floating plants solved it all.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 189
Congrats!
Trail_Mix is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Raymond S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hot Springs Ar. 71901
Posts: 5,825
Seller advantsino has 15" ones on the Bay for $15.
Really you can just put tweezers into their search and then click aquarium supplies.
That is where I get tweezers/scissors from...just shop and don't jump on the first ones you see.
I have a set of one each 10" tweezers and 10" scissors at each tank and one 15" tweezers but use the 15" tweezers most.

P.S. If you look for them on there you can find them at 24" long.
Pinsettas are just a finer type point on them.

Last edited by Raymond S.; 12-12-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: P.S.
Raymond S. is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome