The Planted Tank Forum banner

Slime pickins in St. Louis

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  treetom 
#1 ·
Not many LFS in the St. Louis area still in operation any more. Anyone want to help put a list of the remaining Mom N' Pop fish stores still around? I know of Tropical World Pets on Watson Rd, Malawi Aquatics on West Florissant Avenue, Gateway Aquatics on Telegraph Rd, and Pets Plus on 1st Capitol Drive.

#12 ·
Yes there are, but when I tried to join they did not like the name I went by my entire life. They wanted what they called a "real" name. My name is a "real" name, I suppose they meant "legal" but that was not stated in their "rules". I did not consider the use of Mike, Dave, or Charlie any more legal/real than mine, so I changed my mind about joining. I am sure they have more than enough members, they really did not need me. Perhaps you will be more acceptable.

#6 ·
Yeah, we're almost done cleaning out Pet Market Place, just some shelving units still to go. We were pretty much the largest place with the most fish, and man were we cheap.

What's left....

Tropical World Pets on watson

Aquaworld One down gravois past the bevo mill, one on Manchester near 109 in ellisville (past allllll the car dealers)

malawi aquatics somewhere close to where beldts was (can't remember)

saltwater stuff

marine solutions near 94 and 70

gateway aquatics off of telegraph

Seascape studio off of South Lindbergh near watson rd

That's all that I can come up with off the top of my head.

stores that are closed now...

guilded guppy
pet treasures
clayton pet emporium
pet market place
Beldts

Adam

Oh and anyone who hasn't been to aquaworld..they are expensive but usually have some awesome stuff. If you buy 6 of any one type, you get 20% off, and, if you "like" them on facebook you get an instant 10ish% off...they have a cpu there, and will look you up to see.

And for the local club, check out the website... just google missouri aquarium society. The site will come up. HUGE auction coming up in May 1st

#8 ·
Don't work there, don't know. Call them.

#9 ·
I'm from the Illinois side and only a few minutes from MO and unfortunately almost all of the stores listed are over an hour away with the exception of Malawi Aquatics. Anyone have any experience with the stores listed above. Malawi can give you a bit of a shock when you walk in. It's dark and hot and humid as all get out, the tanks are bare with the exception of rocks for the fish that hide like chiclids and plecos and such. However after being in the store for a while I noticed that all the fish were healthy and vigorously swimming about. I only saw one dead fish and no sick fish the two times I was there. The prices are good on there fish and as the name implies, they catter to the chiclid lover.

Tropical World Pets is clean and well stocked with healthy looking fish and they carry some reptiles and marine fish as well. They do have a nice selection of not so common to the big box stores of drift wood, filtration, parts, and such. Very good place to go if looking for more than just fish.

#17 ·
Edwardsville petco is surprisingly nice for a petco, but that is as good as it gets over here. I live in Godfrey, and try to get most of my fish from Malawi Aquatics. Lamar is a cool guy, and his fish are great.

Tropical World Pets is ok, not worth the drive from Jerseyville unless you are looking for something specific and call ahead to see if they have it.

Never been to anything else on the list. There used to be a really cool place across from LCCC, but it shut down years ago and turned into a Curves.

#11 ·
there is also MASI that meets all the time in stl if you weren't already aware of that just go to missouri aquarium society inc in google, you'll find it. it's pretty awesome. if you read tfh at all. mike hellwig is a member and is a master pro breeder or something like that.

#16 ·
There used to be an lfs called Guppies Galore that was on north lindbergh. I used to go in there all the time as a kid. That place had hundreds of tanks and fish. I always remember the red belly piranhas they had. That place pretty much got me loving fish at a young age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.