The Planted Tank Forum banner

Jason's 75gal Dirted Upgrade

11K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  Lichard 
#1 ·
Figured I would go ahead and get this going, since I am days away from my upgrade.

Current setup is a 55 gal planted community.

New setup is a 75gal.

Equip:
2 Penn-Plax Cascade 1000's
Pressurized Co2
108w Dual T5 54w
30w Dual T8
Not sure about heater yet.

Subtrate:
Dirted with Miracle Grow Eco / terra cotta
Top Layer PFS.

Fish:
3 Marble Angels
7 rummies
6 Cardinals
6 peppered cories
3 Kuhils
1 Weathered Dojo
3 Ottos
2 Indo Flying Foxes
1 BN pleco
1 Female Red Betta

Plants
Water-Sprite
2 massive Java Ferns
Several Stems of Lugwina
Vals
2 Crypt parva
2 Anubias petite nana
Java moss
Dwarf Sag
2 Swords (selling not going into 75)

ADDING::
Red Cabomba
Limnophila aromatica
Riccia fluitans
Hemianthus callitrichoides (attached to base rock)
Dwarf Hair Grass

Here is the tank

Planning on setting up the 75 with the plants only to eat the excess ammonia caused by the dirt. After the ammonia goes down and all the parameters are ok then I will add the existing fish.

The massive piece of wood I have will be cut in half. Here is a pic before I attached the java ferns and moss

Several months later

The top portion (ferns attached) will be kinda in the same spot. The other half (with moss attached) I will drill 2 1 1/2 round hold and silicon magnets in the holes. This piece will attach to the glass on the right side of the back glass (bottom side will have the holes) Standing UP.

I am also looking for another piece of wood to do the same thing to but more of a ROOT/stump concept with.

Thats it for now, I will take several pics during the process.

See less See more
#12 ·
I will from time to time suppliment If needed.

Found some wood today to go along with my other HUGE piece that I already have, but I think I mentioned this before...that piece will be CUT in half.

So this is where I need your help. 2 pieces of wood 3 possible angles.

angle 1

angle2

angle3

PIECE 2

Angle1

Angle2

Angle3

#17 ·
Well I finally settled on a heater. It wasn't what I really wanted, but I haven't had one issue out of the one that I currently have. Aqueon 300w

Now I need:
Miracle Grow Eco
Limo Tint
Terra Cotta

I am torn a little with the cap. Should I look into Black sand, or use PFS or just stick with playsand. Maybe someone could help me decided??

Attachments

#21 ·
Noone has answered in Ferts&Parameters so maybe since this is my journal I can ask here.

Hey guys I have been wondering about my water parameters because I am weeks away from upgrading the 75 to a Dirted tank (Miracle Grow Organic).

Normally my pH is around 6.8-7.0
My kh/gh is around 7-9

I will be adding more DW to the tank and DW softens water..so should I add crushed coral as a base before the dirt.

#26 ·
Species already in the 55
9 Cardinals
9 Rummys
3 marble Angels
6 peppered corys
3 Kuhlies
1 Weathered loach
2 Tai Flying foxes
3 Ottos
1 Female red Betta
1 Bristlenose
1 Albino Longfined Bristlenose

4 nerlites

#29 ·
OK guys I have it up and running..pics to come later.

My question is about MULM (I think that's what I have read it was) this white milky substance ontop of my black cap. How long does it last? should I try to manually remove as much as possible?

I think I am correct in saying that this is the wood fibers in the Miracle Grow Organic decaying, is that correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.