The Planted Tank Forum banner

Veggies Anyone ?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Buck 
#1 ·
Out of curiousity, is anyone into growing vegetable gardens ? I took a few photos of our new garden we have this year, my wife and I have never had the land before to do a garden so I tilled up a 32' x 60' piece of lawn and it is really starting to shape up. I never new how much work a garden could be, now that the veggies are starting to take off and need picking so often I am starting to think that planting it was the "easy" part... :icon_roll
... and that was no easy task !

Heres some photos... http://www.buckmanshome.com/garden.html

~

#4 ·
You need to open a vegetable stand at your house. It will pay for more fish stuff. Thats a *ell of a garden, So neat and clean. I just grow Tomatoes and Cukes and a few peppers. It feeds my wife and I and a few of my good customers!

#7 ·
You need to open a vegetable stand at your house.
Its kinda funny you should say that oldfarmhouse because it will take me a few years but I am planning on doing just that some day on the side...(fingers x'ed).
My property is actually zoned for residential , agricultural and commercial. :icon_bigg

Its allready in the works for next year to till up a corner acre of my field for corn only... right now I am taking up a lot of room in this garden with the corn I got growing now... but heck, to me there are only 3 good things about the summer...
Tomatoes, Corn and Tan Lines !!! :wink: You guys that like the heat can keep it ! LOL

#9 ·
My 80 yr old neighbor across the street sells flowers in front of the house out of a cart. $3.00 a jar and leave the jar. Sometimes I think he makes more money on the weekends than I do. He doesn't know it yet but when he sh**t's the bed I might take over his bussiness..

#10 ·
Mike did you say batter dip the flowers... Ive never heard of that one. My plec's are lovin the fresh zucc's !

Hey oldfarmhouse, about a week after we moved into this house we had an old farmer down the road pull up in his car, flip open the trunk and in there he had a "mobile veggie stand" .. LOL Its a neat idea, Ive never had a veggie dielivery guy before!
Actually this year I am going to take some of the pumpkins, cornstalks and any excess veggies and put them out on an honor system, put the money in a can and be on your way, this will test the integrity and honesty of my traffic I get past the house. Who knows, maybe it will supply beer money.. :wink:

I am working my butt off right now trying to appease my insurance company so the garden is secondary for the next couple weeks... I have to get a roof on the small barn and new door's on the big barn by August or they will cancel my homeowners policy. :mad:
They are really bustin my "gourds"...
Maybe they think I am Rockefeller and can just hire work crews to get the work done but that aint the case.

Hopefully I can at least keep up with picking the veggies this week... I am dropping my wife off at the airport today and she will be in Florida for a week on business ! :icon_roll

Lets see, nail up a 16 x 32 roof, build doors for a 9' x 10' door opening , mow about 2 acres of grass that is allready overgrown and work 40 hours at my job...
...Thanks honey , this oughtta be interesting ! :icon_frow

Speaking of flowers Mike...
Heres another link to a page I put together for the wife of some of the flowers we have had on our property since spring, wild and otherwise...she loves to play with the digital camera :icon_bigg

http://www.buckmanshome.com/kellysflowers.html

#12 ·
The zucchini flowers are considered a real delicacy Buck!

The wife took some great shots! I love the peonys! The daffodil is my favorite. That looks like a sport of the very old variety of daffodil Poeticus narcissus 'Actea', a fragrant daffodil. I love them. I planted over 3,000 of them in my old girlfriend's front yard. They were breathtaking! Cutting them back after they died down was a bit of a chore though! :icon_wink

Mike

#15 ·
Buck said:
By the way oldfarmhouse, how old is your oldfarmhouse ? This one was built in 1850 as was the big barn and I am restoring everything over time. I love the old buildings, I just wish they knew what a "square" and a "level" were... :icon_conf
My House was built in 1730 Buck. Its a post and beam colonial that still needs a lot of work. Its going to be 275 next year. Maybee I will throw it a birthday party. Its pretty straight for a old one. The old timers built them square but with settling through the years they lose that. The inside are not square because of the plaster and lathe system that filled in all the voids. My barn/ antique shop is about 1860's. If your ever down the shoreline drop in, I am right off exit 65 near the outlet stores.

#16 ·
1730 ? Now thats an oldie... :proud:
I hear ya about the "settling" putting them out of level , the old horse hair plaster and lathe creates quite a sound barrier as well, its definately different to work with. I remodeled one room upstairs into a guest bedroom and I had to do some patching and also reframe a window which turned into quite the fiasco... I am learning alot though, thats for sure.
I hung the new doors on the barn today and I have some siding work to do so hopefully the Ins. company will be happy. Once I get this policy renewed I am definately going to look for another one, my wife is ready to flip out on them ! Not many companies seem to want to insure the houses over 100 years old anymore, but the way I see it is if it aint fallen down , been blown down or been burned down by now... it never will !

They dont make wood like that anymore... :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.