The Planted Tank Forum banner

favorite fishing lures/rigs/tecniques

16K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  eyebeatbadgers 
#1 ·
I have just recently gotten into bass fishing does anyone have any favorite methods?
spinners, soft bait, etc.?

#2 ·
Can't go wrong with a Rapala Pop-R. I've caught more Largemouth on one of those than any other lure I own. My original Pop-R has scratches and bite marks all over it from 4lb+ largemouths down in North Carolina

#3 ·
1. Power worm always did the trick. Setup in the Texas rig style. I never have the hook exposed though. Mastering a the bite is sort of the trick.

2. Shad Rap- this has never failed me. Great lure to get suspended fish. Bonus it catches more then Bass. This will catch just about anything.

Now that I have talked fishing I just called in for vacation day since it there is no wind and suppose to storm tonight fishing is on.

#5 ·
1. Power worm always did the trick. Setup in the Texas rig style. I never have the hook exposed though. Mastering a the bite is sort of the trick.

I call #4 a Carolina rig, but you can it Larry if you want. That's my favorite thing to fish, but it takes some practice to rig it right.

#4 ·
OK - for once an infomercial seems to have it right: the Banjo Minnow! Great fish catcher - work it slow and the fish can't resist. Looks like a dying minnow in the water. Esp great in slow shallower water.

#6 ·
My main palstic is a 4 inch Bass Pro Shops Magnum flipping tube rigged on a 4/0 Eagle Claw Shaw Grigsby hook. I fish it with the smallest split shot I can on 12lbs mono with a 7ft med spinning rod. I can skip it really far under docks and other overhanging cover. Green Pumpkin is my favorite color. If the water is really muddy I will insert a tube rattle.
For crankbaits it's hard to beat the Rapala shad rap. It catches everything. I like the deeper diving #5 size but will go to a size #7 some times. Firetiger on sunny days and shad color otherwise.

#8 ·
I have fished with plastics for 15 years+ and nothing beats Berkley PowerBaits and Glup. Today my son was out fishing me with catching crappies, perch and small walleyes. I was using Minnow and he was using Berkley Powerbait crappie nibbles believe me I was shocked this stuff has some major smell but yet it catches fish.

#9 ·
Very true, did ya go out fishing? Raining here today may try and hit some eyes or northerns out in the river later if it breaks. Maybe some smallies and white bass also.

I'm a huge fan of ultralight fishing atleast when I'm not searching for northerns. I hit bass on my ultralight pole 4 lb test and 1/32 oz jigs with micro baits and grub tails. nothing like a 20 in Walleye on 4lb test and an ultralight setup.

Craig

#12 ·
Top water walk the dog baits & poppers is what im using right now on the potomac river for large bass and even larger snakheads

Texas rigged lizards & senkos work really well too. Fishing docks and vertcle structure I like to use a wacky rigged senko or a spoon

#14 ·
my favorite as far as pure unadulterated fun has to be horny toad or frog fishing, just nothing like the way they hit those baits:cool:

#18 ·
I've always liked top water fishing: floating buzzbaits or jitterbugs for bass, dry flies for trout. Nothing beats the thrill of seeing your lure get nailed in a big splash of water.

Unfortunately, I haven't gone fishing for about five years. Pennsylvania raised their fishing licenses through the roof, and I'm too busy to get out more than a few times a year. But they have lifetime seniors' licenses, so I'll be good when I retire. And I guess I'll have to get one if my son gets into fishing.

Lousy Rendell administration....

#19 ·
yea... 1 topwater fish is worth about 4 others in my book. Its the ultimate fishing thrill! But then again I usualy tarpon fish and get to see a 1/2 oz lure get thrown in the air by a 40lb fish! Its the bomb! Not to mention all the sea trout, snook, and redfish! Florida is the place to fish =]

#26 ·
What are you guys using equipment wise (rod/reel)?

I'm in the market for a new rod/reel combo. One for bass, one for catfish.
I use 7' Burkley Lighting Rod IM6 one piece with Shimono Syncopate 2500FE.
Very light weight combo and I can take on just about anything with this universal setup. Sometimes fishing for Bass one might pick up Walleye or Pike. With this rod and reel I do not have a problem.
One key thing is every time I go fish I make sure the drag is set. Even if it is the next day after fishing I always tug and adjust. Give enough so I can sink the hook but also enough that is the Big Pig wants to run he can take out 20 feet no problem.
Some people like to back-roll there reel. Which could cause a birds nest quick if they run.

#27 ·
7" St.Croix Triumph Series Spinning w/ Field & Stream Special Edition 10 bearing system reel Model FEHRV30 w/15lb Powerpro- Favorite rod yet

7" Berkley Lightingrod IM6 w/ Phleuger Presidential Series Reel w/ 15lb powerpro - rarely use this anymore

4" Shakespear Microlight w/ Mitchell 300XE reel w/ 4lb Berkley Vanish- Funnest rod yet :hihi:

#30 ·
I hand carve and airbrush my own wooden plugs. I'll get some pics later. Smaller stuff for river smallmouth mostly, though I've had lots of fun with largemouths and walleye too.

#32 ·
Well fellow fisherman,
I'm heading to the lake to step on my boat (already in the water)...
lucky. I need a boat bad to get to some good spots:icon_roll

wow. i just realized today that the river behind my house, the ottaquechee river is filled with rainbows:eek5:. I just caught a nice sized one on a mepps spinner, first cast if anyone cared... and I proceeded to cook it on the grill and have a nice fish dinner, yum.

#35 ·
my buddy and I hit the fishin' hole for about ten minutes today to see if anything was bitting and he caught a northern first cast, and we're talkin' about a kid who caughht his first ever bass saturday.
fastfreddie. about how big were your bass do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.