The Planted Tank Forum banner

Where are you from ?

9K views 87 replies 56 participants last post by  fresh_lynny 
#1 ·
Its such a big beautiful planet , why are so many registered members afraid to share what part of it is that you live in as part of your registration ?

I mean, I aint lookin for no dang street addresses but at least a "country or state or region " would be nice ... :cry:

Is this some kind of "internet" fear thing... :?: Maybe Im just nuts, well OK Im nuts but it just irks me when I see no location in the listing... it makes me think you have something to hide...

P a R a N oia... ... why is everyone staring at me, you know you think it too !

#2 ·
I agree Buck.

I sometimes wonder why people don't put a location, or they put something stupid like "Right behind you"

Like you say, they dont need to put their street address, just a city/town name or even a region such as a county or So Cal.

Cactusdoug, posting from Joshua Tree in the Hi Desert, San Bernardino County, California USA

#9 ·
aquaverde said:
I agree. It adds interest to the posts for some reason, for me, and depending on the subject, can be a significant detail necessary for an intelligent response to many questions!
Yeah? You mean like, the closer they are, the better the advice gets? :wink:

Sean

Sitting at a desk in Washington DC wondering why they just changed the acronym for the division he works in, again. :roll: He figures that the management must have a deal worked out with the business card printers, this will be the 5th set of 500 cards they have rendered obsolete.

#10 ·
When I worked for the DOD, they only changed the name of my activity once in 13 years. Guess we weren't close enough to DC to garner enough attention to have it happen more often.

Edit- oh, incidentally, the last time we "garnered any attention", we were shut down...

#11 ·
I'm about 4 blocks from the Capital Building, and we are almost always low on anyone's radar even considering that. It's a nice place to walk around in the spring, the National Park Service does a great job of planting and re-planting seasonal flowers.

#13 ·
i like to know where people are from because i think its interesting to "hear" their regionalisms and then check if i'm right.
but i am a big nerd.
from dallas---close to southlake!
:D
kris
but, we're moving to grapevine soon. fender--any nice lfs out that way?

#19 ·
aquaverde said:
Kris said:
i like to know where people are from because i think its interesting to "hear" their regionalisms and then check if i'm right.
Then imagine if you could pinpoint someone's origin, in spite of the fact that they no longer live there, by the way they express themselves.
I live in Tokyo, been here in SE Asia since the early 1980's. Can you figure out where I'm originally from?

#20 ·
i stole wicked awesome from a cousin who lived in boston for a while.
i'm from texas...
dapi, say something more. i hear a challenge in your statement!
:)

#23 ·
Plymouth, Minnesota...suburb of Minneapolis. Someone was talking about "regionalisms," well I've lived all over the US, and Minnesota has got the most distinct regionalism by far. Ya betcha!

See the movie, Fargo (1996) by the Cohen bros if you wanna experience it slightly exaggerated. Oohhh yahhhh!:roll:

#25 ·
dapi said:
I live in Tokyo, been here in SE Asia since the early 1980's. Can you figure out where I'm originally from?
Even an expert would be in some difficulty trying to do this with written speech, for at least two reasons. One, the most telling clues are unavailable (accent), the other being that globalization (especially in online communities!) make regionalisms less regional, since they have the opportunity to pass into wider use.

It could take a good while before you let something useful slip to answer that question, and if you're especially disciplined with the written word, may not even use colloquialisms much when you write. I'd guess at least you are from the US! Is that much right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.