I tried a lobster the other day, and it was gross. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Love me some Lobsters, NOM, NOM, NOM

I cook mine on the grill in a foil steamer. Not many things better than a Cajun Crawfish boil unless it's Mariland Crabcakes...Oooo don't forget Langostino Fra Diavolo!!!

If I was only allowed one type of food the rest of my life it would be Sushi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank VIP

I LOVE seafood and mud bugs but lobster doesnt do it for me either.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sushi....Ain't no way I'm gonna eat sushi! Give me some fried fish and I'm a happy man, if it's raw...It's going to the cats

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Sushi....Ain't no way I'm gonna eat sushi!....
So I'm guessing Ikura Uzura is not an option?
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Had to look that up to see what it is, and nope! Any raw meats are out. I actually was going to try sushi once, but the fellow ahead of me tried one bite and ended up vomiting on the spot so I took that as a sign.

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Being from the Bay Area, I can't get enough seafood.. Put anything that was once alive on my plate and I'll go to town on it.

ESPECIALLY lobster. Maybe it was the way in which it was cooked or prepared?

Sometimes when I see a huge pleco at my lfs, I just want to throw it on the grill and eat that sucker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish on the hibachi? Nothing beats Mahi Mahi.

With Roasted Mango Habanero Salsa, I found this recipe and it was fantastic. http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Roasted...osition=4%2F39

I did go a bit harder on the habaneros than the recipe called for.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 AM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hope everyone got their lobster fix because this summer they were as going as low as $2/lb in some places in Maine. Most supermarkets were selling lobsters for @ $4-$5/lb. Absolutely insane.

OP probably didn't like the texture of his crustacean. The first time I tried a piece of lobster I was probably in kindergarten & it was probably dipped in a bowl of freshly melted butter, so hard not to refuse that.

Lub..... how many people did that seafood boil feed? I could tell it's NOT a single serving by the amount of corn on the tray.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 AM
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just smother lobster in some melted butter. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Sushi....Ain't no way I'm gonna eat sushi! Give me some fried fish and I'm a happy man, if it's raw...It's going to the cats
Common misconception about sushi. Sushi is the rice. Although Sushi is usually made with raw meat it can also be a cooked meat. Sashimi on the other hand is ALWAYS raw meat.

Sushi (すし, 寿司, 鮨, 鮓, 寿斗, 寿し, 壽司?) is a Japanese food consisting of cooked vinegared rice (鮨飯 sushi-meshi?) combined with other ingredients (ネタ neta?), usually raw fish or other seafood. Ingredients and forms of sushi presentation vary widely, but the ingredient which all sushi have in common is vinegared rice. The vinegared rice is also referred to as shari (しゃり?) and sumeshi (酢飯?). Raw meat (usually but not necessarily seafood) sliced and served by itself is sashimi. Many non-Japanese use the terms sashimi and sushi interchangeably, but they are not synonymous. Sushi refers to any dish made with vinegared rice.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

When I was a teen my father had NY shell fish permits. We ate lobster at least 3x a week in the summer fresh caught by us diving. Use to have clams on the half shell that couldn't be any fresher (and sandier). I use to love lobster in tomato gravy over a nice thin spaghetti. We went to Cape Cod on vacation a few years ago and had to have lobster. It had been years. Still can't figure out what I loved about lobster. Still love clams on the half shell though.

My favorite seafood is surely squid. Fried, over pasta, sauteed with onions and garlic. I don't care so long as it's not overcooked. Which is real easy to do.

Dogfish, if your putting it into foil may as well just do it on the stove top. So happens today i was watching the cooking channel and on Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction he was doing a grilled lobster roll. He said to fully cook the lobster by steaming then cut the tail in half. Put a bit of canola oil on it and grill it flesh side down.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
See that is your mistake, you don't steam roaches, you grill them. Add a bit of BBQ sauce and mmmhhmmm good!
Steaming and grilling kill too much of the flavor. Raw is the only way to go. BBQ sauce is only if you don't like the flavor. Touch of tarragon infused butter drizzled gingerly over the raw bug is all you need for a great tasting snack. A nice Australian Pinot Grigio would be a good pairing.

post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 AM

I'm a sucker for sushi. I tend to gorge myself on the stuff and spend WAY too much. But its SOOO good. And I feel really good after eating it. My fav is some octopus as long as its prepared correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Lub..... how many people did that seafood boil feed? I could tell it's NOT a single serving by the amount of corn on the tray.
That was for me, the wife and 3 kids. We over shot the amount to buy by about 1/2lb of crawfish a couple potatoes and an ear of corn. It sucks you can't keep shellfish for leftovers.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love seafood. I'm the daughter of a New England fisherman... I think it's required.

Clam chowder.. Lobstah, crab, stuffed quohoag, salmon, swordfish, various whitefishes, squid and shrimp... The foods I grew up with.. I don't care if they're evolutionarily related to bugs. Bugs are nutritious, numerous and economical to farm.

I can't believe you didn't like it. Do you like/eat crab?
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lobster is one of my favorite foods. Drew, if you ever want to try again, go to shaws during their specials ($5 for a 1lb lobster) and ask them to prepare it for you. They'll steam it for you and you go home with a fresh lobster without hassle other than opening it.

If lobster is still gross and you want to experiment further try crab, or crayfish, or langoustino (no idea what these are called in English) or shrimp (I'm assuming the latter you've already tried)

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode