The Planted Tank Forum banner

Any Tolkien fans in here?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  vfish2003 
#1 ·
I saw Lord Of The Rings II: The Two Towers last night and it was AWESOME. Peter Jackson continues to stay true to the book while providing an intense and entertaining. I even enjoyed the comic relief when Gollum argued with his schizophrenic other half, Smiegel.

I pity someone who has not read the books, though. The suspense would be unbearable.

#2 ·
A matter of fact I just got home from seeing it. Literally 5 minutes I walked in the door from it. I personally have never read the books but have thoroughly enjoyed the movies and cannot wait until the third movie comes out.

I thought at some points it was a tiny bit slow but overall it was good. The battle scenes were easily the best part. I haven't seen such intense fighting fighting on the screen for awhile.

I think I like the Two Tower better though than the first one.

#3 ·
Yeah, I think I like this one better than the first, and if you did, too, then you're going to love the last one even more. The sheer magnitude that Peter Jackson managed to portray such as Isengard's army of 10,000 orcs or the massive doors on the Black Gate just totally blew me away.

You should go read the books!

#4 ·
Hmmm....I just ran across this. :)

I afraid I'm a little behind you guys, as it turns out, I just watched "Fellowship of the Ring" on cable a few days ago.

Even though I'm not much of a fantasy or action type film fan, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The overall look of the film is what I liked best. Plus it had very good acting, as well as a great soundtrack. I think the soundtrack was the best I've seen/heard since "Gladiator" ( another unlikely film that I found myself liking )

I'll probably wait until "The Two Towers" comes out on cable, but I am definately looking forward to it.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Tom713

I think the soundtrack was the best I've seen/heard since "Gladiator" ( another unlikely film that I found myself liking )
The Gladiator soundtrack is my favorite of all time. I just got the cd for christmas and I could listen to it all day..for a week and not get sick of it.

#9 ·
The Two Towers was always my favorite of the three books, as it had the quickest pace. The Fellowship was definately the slowest of the three. I wish they would've gone into more detail regarding Gollum's past though (in the movie that is).

BTW, for the life of me I can't seem to remember the name of the giant spider, anyhelp?

#11 ·
You rooks, I've read the books approx. 20 times in my life.

Seen both movies now, very good, as true to the books as you could be, a bit heavy on the whole Arwyn/Aragorn thing, I think an excuse to put Liv Tyler in more. (Didn't hurt my feelings much though:))

Battle at Helms Deep was SOOOOOOO Cool!!

Slight dissapointment with the Ents, but I have no idea how to improve that, so I shouldn't complain.

Gollum/Smeagol is bloody excellent!

Bring on Return of The King!!!

#12 ·
Loved the books, loved the movies! But you gotta read the books. The books go so in depth into things the movie only touches on. I just got a nice leatherbound volume of the trilogy for Christmas and read it for the first time in years, I was actually sad when I finished it, I just wanted more! The hobbit was THE book that turned me on to reading 25 years ago and I haven't stopped since. I heard that the trilogy was the best work of the last century. Makes sense!!!!!

#13 ·
I am also a fan who has read the books several times. I second what's been said about reading the books and also seeing the films on the big screen. Doing both is a favor to yourself.

Don't neglect the "Hobitt". It is also a great book and lays the foundation for many things.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.