The Planted Tank Forum banner

What are y'all reading?

2K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  rbarn 
#1 ·
I'm reading Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress right now, its a good sci-fi read. I was reading The Dialogues of Plato, but needed a break 1/2 way through so decided to read Mistress, glad I did! I love greek philosophy, but its not exactly light reading.

I've been reading more lately and would love to get a good book list growing with recommendations from you guys, so... what are you reading?

#6 ·
Funny, I just started reading Heinleins Moon as well! When I need a break I switch to "Shift" from Howey, after reading the Silo/Wool series a while ago.

Finished Stranger in a strange land, which was an excellent read. Thought-provoking.

Favorite book from the last couple of months is definitely the Cryptonomicon. Made me crack up so much that my wife started to complain. Diamond Age was very good as well, so was Snow Crash. Others like Quicksilver and Anathem were too much to chew on for moi.

#7 · (Edited)
This is awesome, lots of really cool stuff. I know I've eventually got to pick up Hunger Games, I've been dragging my heels like some sort of literary hipster. I've got to get some of the Sherlock Holmes books, too. I just finished the new(ish) BBC series and it's piqued my interest. I'm also interested in that violence book, PhillyMurse, my nonfic list is short and mostly dead greek dudes because Carl Zimmer can't write fast enough.

Wasser: Mistress is great, it's really getting me started on a Heinlein kick. I'll have to check out Stranger; after Starship Troopers (I need to try the real thing!). Heinlein is great because has a lot to say about his time and doesn't really seem to care what critics thought.

Principles of Chemistry 2nd edition
+1 on that exact same book. I didn't even want to THINK about text books for this post, haha.

#13 ·
+1 on that exact same book. I didn't even want to THINK about text books for this post, haha.
Luckily tomorrow is the final and then I'm done with chem :thumbsup:

Come June when I'm done with a critical car certification test, GRE's, chem, health assessment class, I'll be reading "Panther" by Nelson DeMille

#12 ·
Just started Empire, by Orson Scott Card. He also wrote Ender's Game, a true sci-fi classic.

Read Moon...Mistress a few months ago. Thought I'd covered all of RH's stuff back in high school, don't know how I missed that one. Good stuff!

Major fan of Stevenson. Loved Anathem and Diamond Age, have Cryptonomicon but haven't really gotten into it yet.

For those who like this kind of stuff, a few recs: the Hyperion trilogy by Dan Simmons was incredible (certainly on my top-ten all-time); The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi was really good, and Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon trilogy was a lot of fun, too. I could go on, but these are a few that I've read recently and really enjoyed.

#18 ·
Oh man, I can't believe I haven't added Origin of Species to my nonfic list! I'm a bio major too, epic fail. I love Lovecraft, I've always got a shortstory of his loaded in ibooks just incase I forget my book.

Thanks so much for the input, at the rate I read for fun (darn text books take up too much time) I should be set with your recommendations for a while.

BTW, finished Mistress last night, 3 AM headlamp reading session. So good, appeals to the revolutionary in me. ;)

#17 ·
Great Ideas of Classical Physics

Quantum Mechanics: 1st Edition

Introductory applied physics

Behold He Comes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.