Dangerous aquariums? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've heard that people don't actually taste all that good, sharks will spit people back out as well.

*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbgirl View Post
I've heard that people don't actually taste all that good, sharks will spit people back out as well.
I've heard, via the internet, that human tastes like pork. So I wouldn't say we don't taste good

that said, sharks have been eating seals for... hundreds or thousands of years? we're not a part of their diet. They don't spit us out because we taste bad, they mistake us for a seal, attack, realize we're not what they want to eat, and let us go.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A few years ago I bought a used 180G from a fella on SW forum.

When I picked it up, he described a problem he and his GF had as they took the tank down. He described the rocks as being covered with brown button polyps. Said they both got real light-headed from the "ammonia smell" and got rashes and swelling all over their arms from the "ammonia" in the water. He still had lots of marks on both hands.

I had to warn him that he needs to be more careful the next time he handles rocks like that. He and the GF both experienced allergic reactions to the palytoxins the brown polyps were releasing as they pulled out the hundred of pounds of polyp-covered rock in the tank. Getting light-headed and the swelling rashes could've easily escalated if they had cut themselves severely handling the rocks in the teardown process. They were ever so close to a trip to the emergency room.

The moral of the story: Even the most benign things we keep in a tank can be dangerous and to some, lethal.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just yesterday my coworker was telling me about this guy he knows who is keeping 2 baby great white sharks in one of his tanks. Now it seems pretty dangerous bit I guess it's like the piranhas. I'm sure they are well fed and don't bother anyone
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Algae Grower

Interesting topic! A few stories:

Back in the early days of reef keeping we never knew what was going to come out of the styros sent straight from the Indo-Pacific, but the water was usually pretty foul after the long trip. I was acclimating a bunch of fish and inverts. Not knowing any better, my technique for handling anemones was to pour out the water and gently ease the creature into my hand, and then place them in the tank. Well, i grabbed one anemone and he grabbed me. I knew something was amiss right away when my hand had hundreds of red marks after I scraped off this strange invert. Later that evening I was stopped by the police because I was weaving all over the road. Then I had a vomiting fit in the middle of the night. It was only later that I realized the dizziness and sickness were probably from the anemone. Still have never seen another one like it.

In another case I was sorting live rock and at the bottom of the styro was a bright yellow 1" long crustacean. I went to pick him up with my thumb and index finger and bam! It was a pistol shrimp. That's the most I've ever been hurt. Ouch!

My piranha story. I had a red belly when I was in college. Others are right about them being pretty boring pets. A big tetra. However, do not underestimate them! I was packing the piranha for college. I had heavy duty fish bags, so thick you couldn't tie a knot in them. I put six of those bags one inside the other and put in about a gallon of water. I scooped the piranha up in a net and got him in the bag(s) no problem. Just as I was putting rubber band around the bags the fish freaked. Within 5 seconds he had bitten about 10 dime sized holes though ALL SIX BAGS and water was pouring all over my room. He went to school in a glass fishbowl.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Algae Grower

I've seen piranha do some damage! I work at an LFS, and people often bring in large piranha, since they get tired of a big tank with just some silver fish

For some reason, my coworker always just picks up bigger fish and puts em in the tank. Usually works too, he's got a gift. anyway, guy brings in 3 piranha in a bucket, coworker starts getting em out. First 2 are fine,but 3rd one freaks out. As the hand starts to close, fish turns and rips out a huge chunk of flesh! Perfect circle, about as big as a nickel, and very deep. We could see muscle, it was nuts. Duct taped it up and he got off work early to see the doctor.

And thats why you don't pick up piranha!

20 gal dirted community, 20 long Vietnamese mudskippers, 40 gal tanganyikan cichlids, 55 gal South American cichlids
3 gal opae ula shrimp cube, 8 gal Fluval Ebi
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Planted Member

I recently read a first-hand account from a guy who for whatever reason was boiling some live rock from his marine tank. Turns out the rock had some zoanthids on it. He and his wife wound up in the emergency room half-dead, and they almost killed their dog as well.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When i was a kid we had an aquarium with a decent sized snake head. (before they were illegal). One day my mom was cleaning the glass and the thing struck her on the inside of her wrist and took a huge chunk out. LOTS of blood. Needless to say, no more snake head, she probably took it out back and put a bullet in it.

125g Mud tank.
(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydragons View Post
Just yesterday my coworker was telling me about this guy he knows who is keeping 2 baby great white sharks in one of his tanks.
this isnt happening
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

Nearly everyone I know that has worked with SW tanks (especially in a store setting where there is a lot of rock and different critters passing through) has some sort of story, ranging from humorous and mild, to scary and ending up in the ER, about nasty unexpected SW surprises. To me, that's a lot more dangerous than a piranha or shark or even stingray.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydragons View Post
Just yesterday my coworker was telling me about this guy he knows who is keeping 2 baby great white sharks in one of his tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
this isnt happening
I agreed. Public aquariums have a hard time keeping them alive, let alone a hobbyist with a tiny tank. The Monterey Bay Aquarium used to have a baby white shark around 4' long. They released him back to the wild after 3 weeks.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My brother went to pick up a 75g. The guy was letting it go for cheap and the tank was really nice, but he had to take the fish too 4 piranhas. The shortest was 18" long, the longest was 26". He got slapped pretty hard by one of them, last his balance, and ended up cracking his skull open. The guy had his tank in the garage so he hit cement.

I use to work in a pet shop, and when cleaning tanks the only fish that would go to my hand was the green spotted puffers. They would bite but the were small enough that it only felt like a tiny pinch. No marks or anything. My congo puffer on the other hand: He is fed exclusively live fish and I have a pretty good supplier. I quickly learned that when I bring a bag of fish home not to let the bag acclimate in his tank. He will run up to it and start biting it until he's got it open, and is in the bag grabbing fish. (I wandered away for 5 minutes and came back to that) I am happy that he shows no interest in my hands, but he definitely has a strong mouth.

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Man, some of these stories are frightening. The puffer that bites the bags with his chow in it is pretty funny. Clever little chap!

I dunno, maybe I'm odd, but there's just so many cool things to keep in an aquarium that WON'T kill, hurt or maim you that there's often not much reason for the hobbyist to keep them.

Even if you like predatory or really beeg fish.

Last edited by thechibi; 03-01-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Adding on!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I've heard, via the internet, that human tastes like pork. So I wouldn't say we don't taste good

that said, sharks have been eating seals for... hundreds or thousands of years? we're not a part of their diet. They don't spit us out because we taste bad, they mistake us for a seal, attack, realize we're not what they want to eat, and let us go.
Goggle search "Long Pork"

Great white sharks hit their prey on the surface bite & release allowing the kill to die then they eat it. I believe the theory is less chance of a thrashing victim putting the sharks eye out or harming it in some way. Which is pretty hard to imagine happening which 5000 pound of force cutting the prey in 1/2.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmia22 View Post
My brother went to pick up a 75g. The guy was letting it go for cheap and the tank was really nice, but he had to take the fish too 4 piranhas. The shortest was 18" long, the longest was 26". He got slapped pretty hard by one of them, last his balance, and ended up cracking his skull open. The guy had his tank in the garage so he hit cement.
Pacu most likely, Piranha just don't grow that large. Youd be hard pressed to find even a black rhom to hit 18" much less 26".

75G|75G|56G|55G|50G|50G|29G|20G|20G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode