The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reccomend a dog for my family

8K views 109 replies 50 participants last post by  DogFish 
#1 ·
I have always had labs in my family, as a child growing up and now as an adult. As much as I like labs I would like something a little calmer. I have noticed that labs don't seem to loose that puppy hyperactivity till they die. I do like a dog that I can play with but I would also like for that dog to take cues from me and the family, such as we sit down to watch something he sits down and relaxes too.
We are a younger family, I am 30, my wife is 28 and 3 kids, 7y/o boy and 2/4 y/o girls.
I do want a large dog (minimum 60-70lbs). I know some dogs that I would like but not sure how hard they would be to find for the right price or if they would fit in with our family. The dog will be an indoor dog along with one very easy to get along with cat (she likes to play with dogs).
I like Irish wolfhounds, American bulldogs just to name a few.
So what do you guys think?

#8 ·
Although I am not opposed to a shelter dog I was looking more for breed info that would fit with us, however there is no shelter where I live. I was shut down almost a year ago after the county cut their funding.

I think an American Bulldog would be a great choice. I just had to put my boy down about a year ago... He was 11. He got cancer and it got the better of him... Great dogs! If you want to sit in the house and sleep all day on a Sunday, they will be happy to do the same. If you want to hike in the woods all day, they will be happy to do the same.

The same goes for my Pittbull. Biggest sweet heart in the world. Great with dogs, kids and anyone.

My bully was around 140lbs and my Pit is about 50lbs.

Don't get me wrong, they both need exercise! Esp, in the beginning while you are training them. They really do just adapt to your schedule.

Just remember though, they do need exersize.... Do you have a yard? Walks are also very important. Kids are a plus, so that will give the pup lots of exercise too.
I'm okay with exercising them and walking them and yes I do have a fenced yard as well. I'm really leaning towards a bully.

To small and not really my kind of dog

corgis and pits are energetic breeds

Large couch potato? Try the standard greyhound :) Theres tons of retired racers needing homes, theyre about 80lb I think and while they are sprinters, theyre totally happy to be lazy otherwise. The cat thing can be an issue due to their prey drive but I know they test them and some are safe with cats
Not real big on the greyhound either, when I say bigger and mean beefier.

Great Danes have always been a favorite of mine. Mastiffs also but they're more like miniature horses. Both need a larger yard or lots of walks. Great Danes love to play, are usually good with cats (depend on their personality) and not so hyper like labs or huskies. My friend's parents got one and shes a big couch potato, but loves to play outside as well. Pretty much likes to be wherever they are. You're best bet is going to be finding one (hopefully try a shelter first) and see if they are a match for your family (this is said for any breed you get). That being said, most of the best dogs I've ever had have been mutts from the pound.
A great dane or mastiff would be cool but I don't think my wife would okay us having a horse. Our old neighbor had an English mastiff and it scared the hell out of her every time she saw it.
I agree, my favorite dog came from a shelter when I was kid, had her 16 years till we had to put her down, saddest day of my life.

Rottweilers are gret family dogs, we have a boxer/rot rescue and he's great.
Rottweiler wouldn't be bad but I'll have to see if I can get the wife on board. How are they hyperactivity as an adult? I understand puppy's are full of energy but once a dog hits 2-3 I kind of expect them to chill out a little bit.

#3 ·
I think an American Bulldog would be a great choice. I just had to put my boy down about a year ago... He was 11. He got cancer and it got the better of him... Great dogs! If you want to sit in the house and sleep all day on a Sunday, they will be happy to do the same. If you want to hike in the woods all day, they will be happy to do the same.

The same goes for my Pittbull. Biggest sweet heart in the world. Great with dogs, kids and anyone.

My bully was around 140lbs and my Pit is about 50lbs.

Don't get me wrong, they both need exercise! Esp, in the beginning while you are training them. They really do just adapt to your schedule.

Just remember though, they do need exersize.... Do you have a yard? Walks are also very important. Kids are a plus, so that will give the pup lots of exercise too.

#5 ·
corgis and pits are energetic breeds

Large couch potato? Try the standard greyhound :) Theres tons of retired racers needing homes, theyre about 80lb I think and while they are sprinters, theyre totally happy to be lazy otherwise. The cat thing can be an issue due to their prey drive but I know they test them and some are safe with cats

#6 ·
Great Danes have always been a favorite of mine. Mastiffs also but they're more like miniature horses. Both need a larger yard or lots of walks. Great Danes love to play, are usually good with cats (depend on their personality) and not so hyper like labs or huskies. My friend's parents got one and shes a big couch potato, but loves to play outside as well. Pretty much likes to be wherever they are. You're best bet is going to be finding one (hopefully try a shelter first) and see if they are a match for your family (this is said for any breed you get). That being said, most of the best dogs I've ever had have been mutts from the pound.

#9 ·
My perspective comes from showing & competing with dogs for 40+ years and working as a private trainer.

Purebred from a responsible breeder is like buying a new car, very high probability of getting what you want. Not perfect but the odds are more in your favor.

Shelters the "used car lot" of the dog world. I won't arguel the huggy-feely PC correct emotional goodies that come from the "rescue-experience". If your willing to become a dog-mechanic to fix what comes broke, with your "as-is" purchase this may work for you. Mutts can be wonderful dogs or total time bombs.

Niether is better, it's a matter of what is better for you.

I do think one should make a list of priorities.

Size
Male/female
Coat short v. Long
***TRAINNING***
Indoor/Outdoor
Maint. cost i.e. food, grooming, vet care.
Exercise requirements

To me the most important factor is training, not all people want to put the effort in, some breeds are more responsive to training. The Field dogs & Herding dogs were developed to work closet with man. They tend to be the most responsive to training hence easier...HOWEVER smart dogs need to be challenged

Hounds & Mastiff breeds were developed to work more independently. They are not as responsive to training.

Next I feel is exercise, if you don't like to get off the couch don't buy a high energy/high drive dog. It's just that simple.

#12 ·
Maybe you can tell by the Avatar, I'm a rottyt guy :bounce:

Elsa (RIP) was the easiest dog I've ever trained. Rottys are very responsive to their owners. However, i did put in a lot of hours doing the training and even more into conditioning. Walks were min. 2mi to 3mi daily.

Rottweiler and pit bull owners are help to a higher level of responsibility that other dog breed owners. If something goes wrong it's ale way your dogs fault until you can prove other wise...and they still blame you. I liken it to owning a gun.

All that said Elsa was the youngest dog in her class @ 15mos to get here Therapy dog title.

My other personal breeds over they years were Irish Wolfhound, American bulldog, Alaskan Malmute, Catahoulas (on my 3rd now) and Rhodesian Ridgeback.

#15 ·
Rohdesian ridgeback if your the energetic person or a chow chow if your a couch potato :)

#17 ·
I would say +1 to the golden retriever. Sounds like it's about what you are looking for although I am not really sure how they do with cats.

For me, it's Border Collies all the way but they are smaller then you want, and contrary to popular belief they don't mind spending a day in the house relaxing, it just can't be a everyday thing. Tons of exercise isn't necessary for them either as long as you keep their minds active. Mine tend to stay active in the house by playing with my two cats. She likes to herd them around. She doesn't hurt the cats at all, and the cats will wonder away from her when they get bored.

#21 · (Edited)
....For me, it's Border Collies all the way but they are smaller then you want, and contrary to popular belief they don't mind spending a day in the house relaxing, it just can't be a everyday thing.

......Tons of exercise isn't necessary for them either as long as you keep their minds active.

......Mine tend to stay active in the house by playing with my two cats. She likes to herd them around. She doesn't hurt the cats at all, and the cats will wonder away from her when they get bored.
While individual dog's needs vary, as whole BC do require above average exercise. The last Vet. tech (off to school to become a Vet) had a BC and 6 cats. Every day when she came home the BC had all the cats in one corner of the living room until Mom came home to "un pen" them. The BC became the clinic dog.... all the cats got fat from lack of exercise. :hihi:

#19 ·
This is Ch. Tasso's 'Cool Hand Luke' CA my Travis

He's my 3rd Catahoula in since 1992. I love the breed, and I pretty much can not /will not recommend them to anyone that does not ranch, farm, boar hunt or isn't 100% into working/training a dog. This is the only bred that will embarrass a Border collie in energy/stamina/intelligence and STUBBORNESS, not to mention OCD.

Kudos to Catahoula Rescue Illinois efforts. I believe I meet the women that started that group at an event @ Arlington park maybe 8 yrs ago? I trust they are still very careful you they sell their dogs to.

I've meet some other shelters that haul Catahoulas from down south up to the Chicagoland area and I think that is just plan wrong. I was asked by a group here about what they should do with a Catahoula they have. My best advise was to trade with a shelter in Texas for two poodles.

#22 ·
Catahoula Rescue Illinois maintains a very good adoption screening process. Most of the dogs that they rescue are mixes, which tend to be less demanding than purebred Catahoulas. Our male dog is a mix and he needs exercise and stimulation every day, but he has grown out of his dominance testing and other troubling behaviors.

The Catahoulas that we have fostered have had more personality and amusing behaviors than any other kind of dog I have been around.

Again, a Catahoula would probably not be the right dog for SlammedDC2.

#25 ·
.....Our male dog is a mix and he needs exercise and stimulation every day, but he has grown out of his dominance testing and other troubling behaviors.

....The Catahoulas that we have fostered have had more personality and amusing behaviors than any other kind of dog I have been around.
I think you would really enjoy a visit to the N.A.L.C. show in La. or Tx. you would be able to see maybe 50 to 75 Purebred Catahoulas, involved in Cattle & boar trials, conformation and obedience. I've recently finished Travis Lure Course title and hope to get down to work him on cattle & hogs.

This is a pic from a two dog bay-up. The dogs are not allowed to tough the boar, the boar has nor rules too follow. Of camera is the handler is in the paddock with the dogs & boar. The athletic ability of the Catahoula is truly unbelievable to see.

I happy to your group is being demanding in who they sell dogs to.

#29 ·
Dogfish this paragraph you wrote is the absolute truth. I've always had Pit Bulls and it has honestly become such a headache to have one its really a shame. But, I will stay with them. They are amazing dogs who are really easy to train. I wish more "responsible people would choose the pit bull because they are a great dog and do well around small kids.

"Rottweiler and pit bull owners are help to a higher level of responsibility that other dog breed owners. If something goes wrong it's ale way your dogs fault until you can prove other wise...and they still blame you. I liken it to owning a gun."
To the original poster, I think you can see what I'm leaning towards

#31 ·
I've never met an American Bulldog that was a couch potato. My dad has one that has more energy than it knows what to do with. I've had friend that have had them too and they were anything but calm. I have a Catahoula Bulldog that you can see the pent up energy sparking from his eyes if he's not worked out daily. It's all I can do to get him to chill more than 20min at a time so I can relax around the house. And my Dutch Shepherd...ha...don't even think twice about getting one if you want a lazy dog.

#32 ·
I don't want a lazy dog, I just don't want a dog that is running full speed laps around my house knocking the kids over. I have no problem going outside and walking the dog, or throwing a ball/Frisbee/rope/etc till they cant go anymore. But at the end of the day when it's time to wind down and chill for an hour or so before bed I'd like some calm and quite.

I'll be honest I will need some instruction in training as it's been a while since I have trained one and never really had one trained well.

I think the catalouha looks like an awesome dog, and the thought of having something capable of boar hunting is great. I have actually been looking for some property in east Tennessee to do some boar hunting in. But I don't want something extremely hard to train either. I'm still really looking at a bulldog.

I had a neighbor a few years ago who had a one year old American bulldog that was 105lbs of solid muscle and hadn't stopped growing, great dog. Very intimidating yet very sweet and was great with my kids. If I get one I'd like one that will get big. I don't know why but I have always preferred the larger breed dogs and then I still want one that is a little larger than normal.

Years ago I had a pure black lab who on his hind legs was over 6' and weighed in at 110lbs. To be honest it was the meanest dog I had ever had. Was never treated wrong, just very territorial. There were two people (my brothers) who didn't live in the house who could come in without the dog having to go in a cage. Over his life he put one in the hospital and bit countless others for coming in the yard or house. Yet my kids could take his food, beat him with toys, pull his ears and he would lay there and lick them all day long.

Anyway I'm rambling. Well I'm off to bed I will pick this back up tomorrow.

#34 ·
Golden retriever! My girl is a huge baby. They are a very nice breed they just like to be with you! She cries when I'm not home at my usual time to just be there with her. :D She's my baby girl. :3

^^ That is what she does all day.

#36 ·
I've never found a shephard to be anyhing but what you want it to be, they follow very well
play when you want to play, sit when you want to sit
they follow the leader to make he responsible decisions, and as long as you act as such. they will follow you until the end of the world

they are generally smart and require a good mental exercise daily, a good physical exercise daily, and the rest is follow the leader

worked great when i was a kid, and now im the boss and still does.
i did 2 years ago get a black lab and your right, energy energy energy.. happily knocks kids over to get that mystical ball you've just thrown

#37 ·
Try a doberman..very sleek..has plenty of energy..very short haired and a docked tail..Very easy to train and are pretty smart..Maybe a little too smart. You have to invest time in your dog no matter what breed but dobermans become one of your family..(especially acting like a human) From my experience they are family dogs if raised from a puppy in the family enviroment..They become one of the family. Always looking to be part of everything ,also have a great protective instinct for their family...I have never owned another breed and always will have dobermans..I do not know who owns who..As I sit on the floor while my two boys lay on there blankets on the couch...Always 2 dobermans at my house..

#42 · (Edited)
Another vote for Doberman here. I had a female rescue that I got when she was about five. I had her for the next six years before she passed on. That was the sweetest, kindest dog I have ever had the pleasure to know.
They need training like any dog would. But the friend you get is lifelong.

Edit: this one is not mine, but acts just the same. Playful, but obedient when necessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgdttKGgvlg

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.