The Planted Tank Forum banner

Has anyone made the switch form cigarettes to e-cigs?

5K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  thelub 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience switching from being a regular cigarette smoker to using e-cigs only. I've been a heavy smoker for 16 years and just tried an e-cig today and it seems like this might be able to keep me away from regular smokes.

I know the best thing to do is just quit all together, but I am not convinced of my ability to do so at this point and I've done a lot of research on e-cigs and they seem to be an effective way to significantly reduce the level of carcinogens I am inhaling and have little impact on cardiovascular function according to studies by the Boston University of Public Health.

What are your experiences?

Also... I see the spelling error in my title, but can't correct it. I know how to spell and I know the difference between from and form.

#33 ·
I smoked for 10 years, was a heavy smoker 2 pack a day. When I met my wife, I went down to 5-10 cig a day. My wife told me when we married, you have 1 year to quit smoking. I didn't feel like it, so I waited until the last day to quit. That day we were at the mall, some good looking girl was promoting e-cig, bought a kit for $200, well, it was crap. I started to do research on it because I tough it was the perfect way to quit smoking. Bought myself an eGo kit, loved it!! Started figuring out witch tastes I liked the most. I went the fruity way.
Now we are married for 3 years, and I've been smoking my e-cig for 2 years. Started with 18mg nicotine, went down to 0mg nicotine and just vape because I love it!

Going back in time, the hardest part not to go back to analogs was the first month, when you are over your first month, you will start hating analogs. They will smell like cr*p. And you will go around smokers.

I tried to smoke 3 analogs in the last 2 years, after 1 puf you will just throw them away.

Good luck and try the different tastes, the cig tastes suck the most, try fruits, coffee or chocolate.

I buy my liquids from http://www.mister-e-liquid.com , I tried a whole lot of different e liq providers and imo, he came out the best.

an 8oz bottle ($75) lasts me 2.5- 3 months.

Again, I wish you the best and go for it, you won't regret it!

If you want to know more, send me a PM.

#39 ·
You know, I can't be the only person who's gone online researching for the *best* brand of Ecig and found that it is absolutely impossible to choose because they all clearly have people posting positive reviews for them. I've tried one brand. Are any of the others actually any better or worse?

With that in mind, could those people advocating specific brands and accessories please be a bit more elaborative *coughnalucough* on what the heck they're talking about? I understand how an Ecig works, but I have no idea what a cartomizer is, or a tank, or the "thread type" in reference to batteries.

You don't have to advocate anything. Just post some links. I'm pretty desperate, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the input!

#42 ·
I started smoking at the age of 10. I was handed sample paks of cigs on NUMEROUS occasions in downtown Chicago. I quit when my wife got preg with our first child. I had several relapses ( alcohol related ) but now don't even think about it. It was a hell of a journey and I do not envy anyone who trys to quit. I will say though, that I am proud and supportive of anyone who does try. It's noteasy and IMO there are no easy ways, but the end result is soooo worth it.

If I could offer any advise it would be this....start working out diligently and eating better. You will quickly feel and look better and this will give you the strength to continue.

#44 ·
I smoked for 15 years and quit cold turkey. It took a few tries to kick them completely though. It helped that my wife quit smoking at the same time and we moved to a new apartment that we refused to smoke in. I used baby carrots as my crutch. Every time I wanted to smoke I would eat the carrots instead. That worked. Its been about 5 years since I quit and I have had a few going out with friends over the past few years and each time the cigarettes tasted worse and worse. I was at a wedding in December and had one drag and it was disgusting! I think I have quit for good now. Just don't take away my cigars. Nothing beats a fine cigar and a nice single malt scotch on a warm spring or fall evening.

#45 ·
Well, it's been a few weeks since I got my e cigarette equipment, nicotine liquid, and filling supplies and haven't had a cigarette since. I could not be any happier. I could not go anywhere in the last 16 years without worrying first about cigarettes and smoking. I feel very liberated and already have noticed positive changes in my health. My gums are turning pink again instead of the sickly gray color they stayed while I was smoking, my tounge looks healthier (sounds weird, but it's true, it had a yellow/brown coating on it all the time when I smoked), I don't feel the tightness in my chest that I have felt for a long time when I wake up, and I am really able to notice how terrible cigarettes really smell when I pass by someone who is smoking. I have no desire to touch a cigarette again.

#48 ·
Very encouraging! I've been smoking for 10+ years and while not a heavy smoker (a pack every other day or so) I'd love to quit. My current problem is I like doing it too much still.

My g/f quit a year ago with chantix and hasn't turned back. She tried several years ago with chantix and she had a very bad psychological reaction to it because it didn't mix with another med she was taking. This time around she wasn't on the other med and it worked wonders. I've been interested in e-cigs, but like a couple other members posted on this thread, its confusing as to which one is the best.

slavecorps - I bet you're already seeing a noticeable change in your bank account now that you're not spending all that money on smokes! I've had temporary breaks in my smoking and immediately noticed the extra money in my pocket.

#49 ·
Hi all,

I started this thread back in January, but have been very busy with college, my internship, and research, so I haven't been on TPT much since then. Now that the semester is over, I have more time for TPT. I thought I'd let anyone interested in this thread know that e-cigs have really helped me make a great deal of progress in conquering my nicotine addiction over the last 5 months. During that time, I only broke down a few times and smoked regular cigarettes, but primarily relied on the e-cig. The cost was not prohibitive when compared to cigarettes since I used online resources to learn how to mix my own liquids and shopped around for high quality, cost effective equipment. Now, I only need a few puffs on the e-cig throughout the day and fully expect to be done with it altogether by the end of June.

I feel that since the nicotine is not absorbed as effectively through vapor as it is with smoke that it gave me just enough to make it through the day, and slowly I became less dependent on nicotine. Subsequently, the behavioral addiction that occurs concurrently with smoking became meaningless as I became less dependent on nicotine, thereby slowly dishabituating my behavioral addictions (hand and mouth behaviors), making it easier to reduce and eventually cease the behavior entirely.

#50 ·
Me and my husband have been using ecigs for years now. It took some getting used to in the beginning, but now I would never go back to real cigarettes. We've used probably 15 different types of ecigs over ther years. Now we use Smokeless Image's products and love them. I've tried the tanks, but I'm actually not a big fan of them. Even now, I still prefer the cigarette style e-cigs. I just keep a bottle of liquid around and top off my cartomizer. One cartomizer will usually last me a couple weeks and a 30ml bottle of liquid will last me almost a month.

I think my favorite thing is the lack of smell. I can't stand to be around the smell of smokers now.

If you have any questions, just let me know. I'd be happy to help :)

Oops, I replied before I realized there was another page to this thread and that it was an older thread. I guess you dont need my help, lol.

#51 ·
I successfully quit about 3 months ago. I got the flu, didn't smoke for 5 days and that really helped kick the addiction. That and the last pack I bought was $8.49 and that really hurt. I finally reached the mental state where I didn't want to smoke any more.

Oddly enough I still enjoy the smell when somebody is smoking though. Can't stand it when somebody has just smoked though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.