The willpower it is taking to NOT buy snacks at work is unbelievable. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Unhappy The willpower it is taking to NOT buy snacks at work is unbelievable.

After a good, hard look at my budget, I've come to realize just how much money I'm hemorrhaging on campus, between buying coffee (even the cheap stuff in the cafe, instead of at starbucks), chips, pre-made meals, etc--all of these things that keep me awake and functioning throughout the day.

It's insane.

So I decided to stop. Cold turkey, I don't care if my stomach is audibly grumbling at me in the middle of a quiet room during a test, no more campus food (Except my 4am shift when I will buy a $1.25 vanilla latte from the vending machine, since I don't have a thermos and its bloody cold out anymore).

And so here I am, sitting at work, fifty feet from the cafe, half asleep and rather peckish, desperately telling myself: "A nutty buddy and a cup of coffee is the same price as the thermometer you still need for Pearlicus' tank. Before tax, it takes you three times as long to earn the money for that soda and chips than it takes you to eat them. If you purchase that bag of M&Ms you are a failure at life and healthy food and you will die at thirty, alone, with diabetes and clogged arteries."

It's even hard to pack lunches and stuff, because I'm running non-stop from dawn until dusk most days, so I don't have the time to cut up a pile of carrot sticks and portion out hummus to 'grab-and-go' so I have something to eat during the day.

*rips hair out* Just one tiny bag of chips or something pleeeeease?

"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hahaha I am going through the same thing!! Currently sitting in pharmacology class. Craving a hot chocolate and a bag of sour patch kids!!!

And don't get me started on smoking. Sooo expensive up here!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You're stronger than I am! I have 25 cent snack and soda machines at work. It's very very dangerous. I don't drink or smoke, so I'm allowed to have a Snickers and a Coke every day. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Life is short...snack away!

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank 40 breeder reef
12G Rimless Club

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You need things that will fuel you, fill you up and give you the craving satisfaction you need. Nuts are a great source, although be careful can be high in calories. A handful of almonds can fend off the hunger shakes if I'm out and about and can't get something more substantial. There are healthy granola bars, that would take you 30sec to take it out of the box and into your backpack. Fruit!! A banana is an awesome filler and has tons of great things for you (hello potassium!). No washing or prepping required. Go to the bakery section and have a look at their breads and muffins. You can still get some relatively healthy stuff for a fraction of what a cafeteria will charge. And buying precut carrots and veggie sticks will probably still work out cheaper then crap cafe food.

A grocery store will be your best bet, and yes, take 15, 20, 30min once, twice, a few times a week to prep snacks and meals you can bring with you. But if you starve yourself, you'll just binge bigger and worse then before and thats not good for your health or your wallet! Good luck!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You're not going to like the solution answer but, you did hang the topic out there

MAKE TIME

Pre-bag your food/snacks the night before.

Get over to the Goodwill or other charity resale and get a Thermos.
Not an option, introduce yourself to Tea.

A few times when I was a poor student, I got by on ram in noodles & a dli white bread back then .27 a loaf.

In between all that water is for friend. The one thing about hard $ times is it motivates you to step up in life.

Good luck
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Twenty-five cents!? How... what?? Jealous. >_>

Still... Between living paycheck-to-paycheck and gaining about 10lbs in the last two months, I can't afford to snack away T_T I'm trying to eat healthy... I gave up for a while, because I was gaining weight while eating salads (With single servigns of dressing--not like I was drowning them in cheese and ranch) and veggies are expensive, but then I sort of gave up everything and was up to a pack (of Junior Mints ) a day, plus an iced tea (whose second ingredient after water was HFCS) or whatever.

So. Upon fear of ballooning out of my gorgeous wardrobe (I have some kinda neat clothes), I have to stop the snacking. And since I have bills to pay and the people in the fin.aid office are jerk faces, money is at a premium as well.

So no snacks.

But I'm so hungryyy. T_T Payday is in two days, I can try and buy healthy, portable snacks then... >_>

"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpuppet View Post
You need things that will fuel you, fill you up and give you the craving satisfaction you need. Nuts are a great source, although be careful can be high in calories. A handful of almonds can fend off the hunger shakes if I'm out and about and can't get something more substantial. There are healthy granola bars, that would take you 30sec to take it out of the box and into your backpack. Fruit!! A banana is an awesome filler and has tons of great things for you (hello potassium!). No washing or prepping required. Go to the bakery section and have a look at their breads and muffins. You can still get some relatively healthy stuff for a fraction of what a cafeteria will charge. And buying precut carrots and veggie sticks will probably still work out cheaper then crap cafe food.

A grocery store will be your best bet, and yes, take 15, 20, 30min once, twice, a few times a week to prep snacks and meals you can bring with you. But if you starve yourself, you'll just binge bigger and worse then before and thats not good for your health or your wallet! Good luck!
Guh! I've tried all these, haha. Bananas and I only occasionally get along (it's a texture issue for me), and I was eating granola bars for a while, but they're tough to down without something to drink. It worked for a while, but despite eating mostly whole grains, cutting out HFCS and trans/saturated fats, and having healthy snacks, some of my clothes stopped fitting in a bad way

I fell off the hea;thy badwagon, and I'm trying to get back on.

But money, and time and energy... I can start off with veggies, but I only get to go shopping once every two weeks, since I don't have a car and I have to rely on my roommate.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't function if I'm hungry!

At work, I snack all day - I bought mandarin oranges (the little cups - they're cheap and so good!), string cheese, little things of nuts, and a huge thing of french vanilla cappuccino mix from Costco (lasts forever)! Granola bars are great snacks too, cereal bars, and apples with caramel is my new addiction!

Hang in there - maybe grazing on healthy things throughout the day will help! Maybe try to make some trail mix (Chex and pretzels and all that good stuff).

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank 40 breeder reef
12G Rimless Club
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm trying to put together my shopping list for Thursday, but I have to keep it under $50, and ideally I'd have some actual "meal" food on there... I share bread, milk, and eggs with my roommate, but most everything else I'm on my own for. I have pasta multiple times a day some days ;_;

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cheese sticks are also great. Cheap and full of protein to keep ya going. I learned young from being severely hypoglycemic that snacks are a must. Also having 6 small meals a day is exponentially better for you rather than three larger meals. Frozen fruit smoothies are great too!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

peanut butter sandwiches! Very filling. Add sliced banana instead of jam for the sweet side.

And drink lots and lots of water. Thirst will sometimes feel like you're hungry. Make sure you're hydrated (and do not buy bottled water, what a waste! Tap or spend the few bucks to get a filter).

When I was in college I loved the heat and serve pasta mixes (green giant? Knorr?), ramen, and perogies.

Cheese is filling. Apples aren't filling but help the desire for crunch.

I need bread. If I'm hungry, its all about bread. I love cheese buns. Muffins (buy healthy ones if you can't make your own). Careful about cereal though, a serving size is probably much smaller then you think! But all that stuff is still better then a bag of m&ms!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

shop at bread stores instead of grocery store, at the franz store here I can get about 20 loaves for 12 bux. freeze it until you want it and keep in fridge to make it last longer.

buy in bulk and bring it with you. you will save a lot
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

^peanut butter/nuts in general are great. when i worked as a cook, i would snack on sister schubert's dinner rolls for those carbs to keep on trucking.

lots of breads, however, can slow you down..

if you love to eat meat, like me, sliced turkey is fairly cheap and is low fat/high protein.

^keeping bread cold makes it go stale, crystallizing starches i think

for low cost snacks that you just can't phase out.. go generic, if taste permits.. $4 for oreo's $0.99 for generics...

buying larger packs of eggs and whole gallons of milk are cheaper.

i used to have a massive collection of life tips/hacks from another forum. i'll see if i can dig it up...i would embed the image.. but it's tooooo big

http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictur...8_1839930.jpeg

Last edited by steven p; 11-06-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added link
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
After a good, hard look at my budget, I've come to realize just how much money I'm hemorrhaging on campus, between buying coffee (even the cheap stuff in the cafe, instead of at starbucks), chips, pre-made meals, etc--all of these things that keep me awake and functioning throughout the day.

It's insane.

So I decided to stop. Cold turkey, I don't care if my stomach is audibly grumbling at me in the middle of a quiet room during a test, no more campus food (Except my 4am shift when I will buy a $1.25 vanilla latte from the vending machine, since I don't have a thermos and its bloody cold out anymore).

And so here I am, sitting at work, fifty feet from the cafe, half asleep and rather peckish, desperately telling myself: "A nutty buddy and a cup of coffee is the same price as the thermometer you still need for Pearlicus' tank. Before tax, it takes you three times as long to earn the money for that soda and chips than it takes you to eat them. If you purchase that bag of M&Ms you are a failure at life and healthy food and you will die at thirty, alone, with diabetes and clogged arteries."

It's even hard to pack lunches and stuff, because I'm running non-stop from dawn until dusk most days, so I don't have the time to cut up a pile of carrot sticks and portion out hummus to 'grab-and-go' so I have something to eat during the day.

*rips hair out* Just one tiny bag of chips or something pleeeeease?
Can you bring apples and peanut butter with you?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Buy some apples! I love apples!

Granola bars? Ew but those have canola oils...

Stick to fruit!?

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

20g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode