The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hello from Georgia, new to planted tanks

449 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  birdgirl11 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Lisa. I have owned quite a few freshwater tanks in the past and just started getting into the hobby again. I have never had a planted tank and am up for the challenge. So far I enjoy it but am having some difficulties troubleshooting so I came here.

My setup is still in its beginning stages. The tank has cycles and I currently have 2 turquois rainbows (young) and a few other species of rainbows in a quarantine tank. My tank is 125 gallon, I am running a fluval fx6 for filtration and have a small power head running to add oxygen and additional circulation. I just upgraded my lighting from the standard hoods to 2 shop hoods with 4, 4ft Philips 32W aquarium lights. I am thinking this is on the low side but better than what I had if you go by the watt/liter rules.

CO2 is 2 1/2 gallon home made generators that are changed out every 2 weeks when the counter stops pushing co2 at bubble/3 sec. Substrate is silica (pool) sand/Eco complete 20/60. I have a co2 checker on the side of the tank showing green, temp is at 79 degrees. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5<. I am thinking my problems are with fertilization so I have added tabs under the substrate and I am dosing flourish.

I have zero ornaments or decorations, I only have a very large piece of quartz.

The plants I have are Anubis, moss balls, amazon swords, java ferns and a few others I cant remember the names. I planted only a little bit to see what would do well and what wouldn't. So far the Anubis are doing great but the amazon swords are yellowing quickly. Another plant I have has holes in the leaves so I am thinking I have potassium issues from what I have read.

I am in the works of buying a 10 lb co2 tank, regulator, check valve, and reactor. That was going to be my next step.

Glad to be a member of the group, my goals are to eventually have a beautiful green tank with lots of rainbow fish, and a lush green carpet.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.