The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Jahmic's planted nano 2.0 {Fluval Edge} - (3/29/11 fauna update w/ pics)
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
I suppose blogs are better when you aren't posting 2 weeks of info in a single day I promise to do my best to keep up with it from this point on, haha.

I've been planning on running CO2 via a paintball setup, just waiting on the parts to get here. Other than that, just waiting on the tank to get through it's cycle before adding some fish. I've been on the fence for a few days about what to get, and finally decided that I'll be doing a small school of Celestial Pearl Danios. Wish I would've decided that sooner and done some more research, because all signs point to a darker substrate being a better option for those shy fish.

At least it gives me an excuse to change my substrate...I figure if I don't do it now, I might as well forget about it once I get the fish. I'd rather not deal with stressing them out and going through the hassle of something that significant once the tank is established...don't want to risk a mini-cycle either. So...I went ahead and ordered a bag of Seachem Flourite so that I can rescape.

The plan is to ditch that green slate in the corner...I really wanted to tie the anubias down to it and blend the rock into a carpet initially, but started picturing the outcome and still didn't like it at all.

As for that large rock, I really do like the layers...but, like I already found out, it just doesn't work in this small tank.

So, I decided what to do what any guy would do...take out a hammer and smash things

Because of the formation of the rock, it was actually really easy to "pick a spot" and crack the stone. I wrapped it up in a plastic bag (after having a shard smack me in the cheek on the first attempt...learning curve...or maybe just stupidity) and went to town. I will get pictures up in a few of the resulting pieces...going to wait til I rescape to add them to the tank.

I should have CO2 setup in about a week or so...then would like to see the ammonia get to zero and everything else in the tank stable before adding fish. I think I'll be using those little pieces of red slate, along with a few others to make a riccia carpet. I attempted to tie down some marimo with them at one point and really didn't like it at all.

Hmmm...think that's all I got for now. Suggestions are always encouraged. In fact, I'm going to grab a couple photos of the rocks now and see if some of you all can help me decide whether I need to take one more whack at it with the hammer.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome