The Planted Tank Forum banner

Callin' All Kentuckians

28K views 114 replies 69 participants last post by  markalot 
#1 ·
I'm just curious how many are out there. Post here if you live in KY!

#37 ·
I would certainly be interested. I live in London, about an hour south on 75 from Lexington.

I was at Animal House on Richmond Rd by the Kroger's yesterday and they said that there was a large and growing demand for plants and shrimp. (Got some nice nerite snails among other goodies) So maybe there might be enough people in the central KY to look into it.

#39 ·
Lovely, KY here. Located in Martin County on the West Virgina border. About an hour from Huntington, WV and a couple of hours or so the other direction from Lexington, KY. Wish there were some good shops here but nothing close. I used to make the drive all the way to Lexington to a store called Regency Pet Center. I really liked it. They had several species of unusal fish, but it has been out of business now for a long time. Not sure what happened or why, but I really liked it. I go to a store in Ashland called Berts which is OK, but not the selection of rarer fishes or awesome plants Regency had in Lex.

#43 ·
Richmond.

I've been out of aquariums for about ten years but just bought a new house this year and finally have my man cave. Luckily found my favorite tank size on Craigslist, a Oceanic 58 gallon with stand. I'm going to start out with a low tech community tank but may progress to CO2. I'm on the lookout for some good low light plants in the area.

#44 ·
The couple that own Animal House off Richmond are in the process of expanding their fish section to include more shrimp and plants (as mentioned above). I think the husband is more interested in the large active fish while the wife (I've forgotten their names!) focuses more on the planted tanks and shrimp. I'll say I've been happy with the fish and Assassin snails I've purchased there.

#53 ·
Sadly, you may be more lucky than you were thinking! The Petsmart locations in the Louisville area have far outperformed most of our local shops lately. The only exception is Feeders Supply and they're geared 90% toward dog food sales.

FS has kicked its game up a notch, though, and has started offering quite a bit more small fish species and a few of their 14 locations have decent plants and supplies.

#54 ·
There are two shops in Georgetown that have a better selection of certain types than the stores in Lexington right now. It really depends on what you need. I am totally new to all of this. I bought my first aquarium from the Hamburg Petsmart, my first plants from the Southland Drive Incredipet, my filters from the Richmond Rd Animal House next to Kroger, my flourite from the Nicholasville Rd Petsmart and will probably get my fish from the Supermarket next to Michaels on Nicholasville Rd. There's no great one-stop-shop in Lexington, but if you drive all the way here, don't bother going to any if the Incredipets in town other than the Southland Drive one (the Tates Creek one has no fish at all, and there is a far better LFS on Richmond Rd. And if you do make the trip, please note that the Hamburg PetSmart has a much better fish and plant selection than the Nicholasville Rd one.

#56 ·
Elrodg- there used to be a nice little LFS down in Paris,TN when I lived there 9 or so years ago. No clue if its still there, it was off the beaten path just barely. I can't remember exactly, but I remember I would stop there when I had to drop something off at UPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.