The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - AquaStudent's First Tank - Plans for an Upgrade (New Video Update)
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Check at the El Natural section in APC forum. I have tanks set up with dirt for I liked the idea that many only change water 1x a year and don't dose ferts. My water is excessively treated thus have to change 1/3 monthly. Couldn't find the 3ml gravel needed to keep the dirt down so used play sand. Then tried pool filter sand (PFS) and then river sand. I like the river sand the best. It is brown and doesn't get dirty. I found it at a landscaping co. a 50lb bag for $3. I used Scotts top soil. It has a lot of mulch in it that needs to sifted out. Read someone got some dirt with very little mulch at True Value hardware store.

The Amazon plants tend to outgrow even a 30 gallon tank. The micro sword needs iron sulfate via API root tabs. I don't think it will stay in the big rocks without the cotton. Usually people take it out and spread it out.
Thanks that's something I'll definitely look into. I was going to spread out the Micro but, like I said, I don't think I have the right substrate just yet. I know the Amazons get big I was going to prune it when it gets really large and perhaps use it's clippings to set up another plant on the other side of the tank (depends how the crypts do...i've heard so many horror stories about them). If worse comes to worse I can always give it away to someone in the area (or if my Dad starts up a larger tank at home give it to him).
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome