The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 150g, Cichlid, low light aquarium
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Hmmm . . . someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those two plants in the middle look like 'Brazilian Swords', which are actually peace lilies (Spathiphyllum sp.) and will eventually die if left under water. They make great houseplants, though!

They'll probably be okay until you get more true aquatic plants in there, at which time you can plant them in a pot and put them in your house!

The Swap and Shop forum on this site is a great source for plants that won't cost you an arm and a leg. That's a good thing when first getting into plants, because if you kill some off you didn't just throw $50 in the trash! Also, I think you'll have to do some research to make sure the plants you choose won't get eaten by your chiclids. You have the right idea in adding LOTS of plants, as more plants means less damage to any one plant.

As a general rule, I would start with large firm plants like Anubias, swords (Amazon and other Echinodorus sp., not Brazilian), and large Cryptocorynes. You could look into fast-growing stems that may be able to out-grow nibbling, such as water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) and hornwort (Ceratophylum submersum). These are just the plants that are often recommend to beginners with problem fish, so do your research to find out which ones you like the look of and which ones will survive your fish.

Joy to the fishes!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome