The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Philip's 90 Gallon - UPDATE 7/31/2012 (FTS P.86)
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (15/100%)
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Thanks! I'm really excited to get this all set up. The 150g was fun, but it was a lot of work and i hope this will be my final tank until i go off to college (but you never know what will happen when you're part of an addictive hobby like this one...).

I'm buying 4 9-liter bags and 2 3-liter bags, since i may want a slight slope. If you click on the "extended information" tab on the product page, it will tell you how many bags you need for the size tank you have. According to that chart, a 58g (36"x18") would need 3 9-liter bags. They do not say how deep the substrate would be though, but i'm assuming around 1.5"
thx. i was thinking 4 bags since a fellow member told me to go with really steep slope for the look i was going for. i'm not sure if you say my Journal thread but i really like the slope i have on my 10g's. i measured it and it was 4" at the rear and the front pretty much matched the black trim, not bad IMO. also, the soil comes out to be much cheaper than buying local florite. The only thing i don't like is the ammonia leech, i really have never cycled a tank, i have always taken media from an exsisting filter and used that to insta-start a tank. I will have to do more research on this...

btw, good luck with this build, i was sad to see the other one go but i think this one will have more potential since it isn't on such a huge scale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome