The Planted Tank Forum banner

My BioCube 29 Setup - Help Me Out

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jsamps 
#1 ·
Here is my 29 gallon BioCube setup.

I've never had puffers or a planted brackish tank but the plan is to have 2 figure-8s & maybe 5 or so bumble bee gobies, I don't know if I can have a couple night gobies but I'd like to try if possible.

The aquascape is a mess, so far all I have is some anacharis. java moss & some flat slate rock. I've ordered hornwort, dwarf hair grass, pygmy chain sword, anubias lanceolata, & java fern. I will re-scape everything when the plants come in, should be this week.

The sg is currently at 1.001, I'm going to ramp it up to around 1.005+ once I get the plants in.

Please help with any suggestions/critique, I don't really have a plan & feel a bit unprepared.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ok still waiting on the hornwort, dwarf hair grass & pygmy chain sword, then I will totally re-scape.

However, I'm noticing something troubling, the anacharis is starting to look translucent and the leaves are a bit shredded looking. Today is also the first day I'm noticing small snails, which will be good once I get my figure-8 puffers but I wonder if the snails are eating the anacharis. Attached are photos:

Attachments

#3 ·
some plants tend to melt when they are in a new environment, in this case, they will grow back once they are adapted to it. but some melting could be due to your water parameters, for example, did you do treatment for the chlorine in your water before introducing the plants?

anyway, you will need some proper hardscape (rock/wood) to make your layout more interesting!

#4 ·
You're not so unprepared as you have/ordered plants that can grow in brackish water. The anacharis is looking like it just needs some fertilizer. Once you have the puffers in, they will probably perk up. If it's going to be some time before you add any fish, I would look into adding some plant spikes or dosing the water with liquid ferts.

#6 ·
Here is what I have so far, I'm a little worried I'm crushing the hornwort in the back left corner, I may have to move some rocks away or the hornwort up. I have a bunch of unused slate that I may add to make more caves. Keep in mind I'm planning on keeping figure-8 puffers & bumble bee gobies, so hopefully the aquascape is conducive, please help with any suggestions/critique.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.