The Planted Tank Forum banner

How do I sort through this mess?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  love4betta 
#1 · (Edited)
Plants arrived. Before the hardware equipment did(including the lighting). Apart from the fact that I will have to pray the plants last temporarily with only natural light, I realised I received too many(after ordering a certain amount you are apparently given about 50% extra plants)... I have no idea how to organise this mess, the coconut caves aren't even in there yet.I guess I am going with the jungle look? Unless anyone can think if how to sort them in a way that will look orderly?
If you can't tell what's in there because of the bad picture and the mess in there:
5 valissneria nana
2 java fern
1 anubias nana
a bunch of guppy grass
an equally big bunch of moss
1 rotala rotundifolia
4 Egeria Najas(in the back) and 4 smaller tips in the front
3 Heteranthera zosterifolia(I am guessing?)
3 Mayaca fluviatilis(again, guessing)
Picture:

Help please!

See less See more
#2 ·
Make clumps of the same plants and reinsert into substrate...

Take the plants out and lay them on the ground to make sure they all point in the same direction. reinsert so they are correctly oriented to grow towards the light, or they will just kink again.

Arrange your clumps, tall ones in the rear, to shorter ones in the front.

I think your problem is that you chose plants that grow too tall for the scale of your tank. Personal opinion though... (fish would love it).

#5 ·
The shape in a jungle scape is from using leaf shapes. Usually there will be a lily or sword with big leaves. You could use the Anubias tied/glued to a good sized rock [or make a little pile] at 1/3 of the way from either corner near the front as it has the widest leaves so far. Those coconut shells will really help organize your scape. I'd leave a little crescent beach of substrate at the front of the tank too.

Group the vals near one back corner with 2 of the shorter groups of stems in front of it. I'd plant in a triangle of 3 in back and 2 in front between them. The Heteranthera zosterifolia goes in the other corner with the other stem in front. Najas makes a great filler where ever you like but it is hard to plant as it is fragile. Put in some clean yogurt tubs or something as place markers for the coconut shells you are covering with moss. Place like thoughtfully like they are rocks, keep out of the center or mashed against the tank sides and they should be associated with the Anubias rock.

Plant every stem and plant 1-2" apart and do try to orient the leaves the same on each one. Plant about 2" from the tank sides otherwise stems and leaves won't look natural. Keep focus points out of dead center.

#7 ·

Ok, I tried as much as I could to take your advice, I am not very happy with the way it looks but I'd say there's a definite improvement.The tank was too small to not put plants close to the sides. I know the tiny Egerias won't stay there in the front forever, just until they grow bigger nor will the tiny Rotala tip. The Vallisnerias were a nightmare to plant and I cannot get their leaves to stay in the same direction. Where you see rocks 1 and 2 is where I intended to put the coconut caves, all covered in moss(not in this picture, I am keeping it separate for now).I don't know how well it will look but I really love the idea of a cave in the back, sort of hidden by plants. Also, I was thinking that where rock 3 is, I could put a tiny(2-2.5 inches) gate/tunnel? like this one(on the right):

Anyways, what do you think I should change? Should I also add some small rocks? How can I improve? (I will not be upset no matter what you say so no worries, I have never done this before so I am clueless).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.