Critique on driftwood scape - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
well my opinion, in the first one...that piece on the right was a nice focal point where it arched up. I miss it in the other ones.

Bump: where did you get that wood...i'm looking for similar stuff

It is manzanita. I got it like 6 months ago or so. I actually think I got it from
Someone off here that sells it in boxes. It's just a bunch of random pieces. Really nice stuff though. Tom maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

Nice placement, great looking wood, when you go to add the substrate you should do it in a way that some of the branches are elevated at an angle. This will cast some visually appealing shadows and a good sense of depth.

post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
Nice placement, great looking wood, when you go to add the substrate you should do it in a way that some of the branches are elevated at an angle. This will cast some visually appealing shadows and a good sense of depth.

I will do that, thanks! I ordered a 50 lb bag of pool filter sand today, should be here next week sometime. At that point I will have the tank in its final resting place in my bedroom. Then I will probably have to redo the wood at that point but I'm glad for the input now so I know I'm heading in the right direction!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini5788 View Post
It is manzanita. I got it like 6 months ago or so. I actually think I got it from
Someone off here that sells it in boxes. It's just a bunch of random pieces. Really nice stuff though. Tom maybe?

Yes, that was me.
Timmy!! and martini5788 like this.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Yes, that was me.

Yes! The wood is awesome, thank you! I use tapatalk and for some reason it wouldn't allow me to look back 6 months or so. Manzanita works great for a skinny tank like this, hopefully the end product turns out as well as I think
It will!

post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like either the second or third. I think it would go well with something similar to this--

Tall plants in back left corner (heaviest planting here), maybe some long fronds drifting towards the centre, aided by water flow
Shortest plants front left
Short plants back right, small grouping only
Empty play area on the front right

Some moss on the driftwood, non-uniform distribution

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
I like either the second or third. I think it would go well with something similar to this--

Tall plants in back left corner (heaviest planting here), maybe some long fronds drifting towards the centre, aided by water flow

Shortest plants front left

Short plants back right, small grouping only

Empty play area on the front right

Some moss on the driftwood, non-uniform distribution

That's exactly my plan. Now I just have to find easy plants that are hardy, which I have no clue where to even start with that to be honest. I have yet to keep a plant alive in my entire life,
Seriously. I think it's because I either overwater or don't water enough. I figure this should be easier because aquarium plants take that aspect out
Of the equation haha

post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

Nice wood! Lol. I think banking up the substrate so a couple of the branches break the surface of the water would look really good imo. Will be following this thread to see how it turns out.
As for plants, crypts and Amazon swords are hard to kill. I kept mine in sand never fed them and they thrived really well. You could tie some anubias petite to your drift wood too good luck

Richard - Happy Fish Keeping
post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look at my past post. I gave you two people who have a wide selection and are willing to set up packages of what you want and help decide what your looking for and what your trying to do..I took that part out of the equation for you now you just gotta talk to them and decide what you want hahaha
martini5788 likes this.
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Note, when you like the driftwood, you also do not want to hide it with plants(or too much).

So the front and middle of the wood is often left open or a foreground type plant.
The rear can go either way, the rear corners etc.

Thus really nice wood generally needs an open platform and foreground type plants mostly to show off the nicer hardscape.
Some go for a complex creeping overgrowth, that works also, but tends to be tougher for most to pull off.
A good example was this years ADA winner.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfat View Post
Look at my past post. I gave you two people who have a wide selection and are willing to set up packages of what you want and help decide what your looking for and what your trying to do..I took that part out of the equation for you now you just gotta talk to them and decide what you want hahaha
I will be contacting them once I get the cycle going. It will probably be a few weeks before I fill it with water and get it moved into the other room. I do greatly appreciate the contacts and definitely didn't forget about it! I normally have marine tanks so this one is my way of getting my feet wet and seeing if I like freshwater planted.

Thank you guys for the compliments and help, I was nervous posting it because I don't know the first thing about freshwater aquasca ping so I'm glad I'm going in the right direction
I ordered 50 lbs of pool filter sand, do you think that will be enough?
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Note, when you like the driftwood, you also do not want to hide it with plants(or too much).

So the front and middle of the wood is often left open or a foreground type plant.
The rear can go either way, the rear corners etc.

Thus really nice wood generally needs an open platform and foreground type plants mostly to show off the nicer hardscape.
Some go for a complex creeping overgrowth, that works also, but tends to be tougher for most to pull off.
A good example was this years ADA winner.
I planned to leave the middle pretty much blank and only do some mossy type stuff on some of the branches. Build up the back corners, mainly the left. In your opinion, do you think this is a good plan? What would you do differently?

post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini5788 View Post
I will be contacting them once I get the cycle going. It will probably be a few weeks before I fill it with water and get it moved into the other room. I do greatly appreciate the contacts and definitely didn't forget about it! I normally have marine tanks so this one is my way of getting my feet wet and seeing if I like freshwater planted.

Thank you guys for the compliments and help, I was nervous posting it because I don't know the first thing about freshwater aquasca ping so I'm glad I'm going in the right direction

YA of course no worries!! honestly this forum is the best place for every thing...ive always wanted a planted and never knew what i needed or any thing until i found this place and man oh man I just jumped right on in with getting what ever to see if it will live or not..just because i wanted to see what awesome plants that i liked would live hah..plant wise of course.. but ya going with your other question honestly its your tank..once you start picking out the plants you want for the tank then you will see where you want to put things to hide equipment or to make little bushes or things like that..so again thats kind of later on into the design when you have those elements just like fish thats later on when you have every thing set out so you get the right size fish for the tank style...just make it your own make it the way your going to love it and want to see it every day..
martini5788 likes this.
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have wanted to keep discus for a long time. Would this be an ok setup for a small group of them(essentially the smallest group they are comfortable with, 3 or 5?). The water here is very hard but I have an rodi system so that should take care
Of that aspect of water quality. Because I am used to a sw tank, limiting the number of fish is not a big deal to me at all. But I wouldn't want them to be miserable in it

Took the night to think it over, and I have changed my mind on the discus thing. Maybe one day in a larger aquarium, and when I have the patience and time to maintain multiple water changes a week which I am not able to commit to as of now. At least I'm honestly about it, right?

Last edited by martini5788; 12-11-2015 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Changed my mind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode