The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aquascaping help please!

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  leemacnyc 
#1 ·
Hello!

Well, apparently months of reading, research, and staring at photos has taught me nothing because I'm at a complete loss at how to hardscape/aquascape my new Fluval Vista 23.

I've got three pieces of driftwood which each have an anubis growing on them and a few other small plants scattered around. I also picked up some rocks but try as I might, I wasn't able to incorporate them.

Here's a before and after today's fiddling - I didn't manage to find a better ariangment for the wood, and if anything it just looks more cluttered than when I started fiddling.

So, can anyone offer any help and guidance?

Move the wood? Add some rocks? Something else entirely?

No Co2 and low light, so my options are limited.

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
The problem is you have three focal points, four if you count the white rocks, which is too many, and none of them are very interesting or positioned properly.

Try combining the two pieces of wood on the right into a single pile, positioned approximately 1/3 of the way from the end. Then rotate the piece on the left something like 1/4 turn clockwise, approximately where it is now.

Then either add a lot more white rocks so they become part of the whole, instead of being a focal point on their own, or take them out entirely. Personally I think they clash.

The java fern can stay put. It'll look nice in the back corner once it grows out some. The little crypt could go on the far right.

#9 ·
I second taking out the white rocks. They don't seem to fit. It's looking great, but I think you'd be happier with a background on it. I've just got some dark navy fabric taped behind mine. My husband used maps from a video game and my mother in law used scrapbook paper. All look good imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.