What kind of wood should I be looking for? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hilde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mableton, GA
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabread View Post
As for rocks, people sometimes use the vinegar test. I don't think it works enough to trust the results.
Yeh, I read someone had problems from rock that did not fizz from vinegar test. Seems it does not always create enough acid.
Hilde is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jaidexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 33919
Posts: 3,485
To test rocks, just use a test reagent, many of the nitrate and nitrite reagents are hydrochloric or acetic acid, check the label for the words or look for a little dissolving hand. No need to buy a whole bottle of muriatic when most of us have the test kits already.

9% acetic pickling vinegar works better than 'regular' vinegar, which is usually 5%.

Make sure to scrape the rock's surface first, too, different minerals can coat rocks over time and give a false result with the fizz test. If it fizzes once, scrub all the crevices well, soak it in vinegar for a day and test it again.
jaidexl is offline  
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Farmingdale, NY
Posts: 217
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
To test rocks, just use a test reagent, many of the nitrate and nitrite reagents are hydrochloric or acetic acid, check the label for the words or look for a little dissolving hand. No need to buy a whole bottle of muriatic when most of us have the test kits already.

9% acetic pickling vinegar works better than 'regular' vinegar, which is usually 5%.

Make sure to scrape the rock's surface first, too, different minerals can coat rocks over time and give a false result with the fizz test. If it fizzes once, scrub all the crevices well, soak it in vinegar for a day and test it again.
thanks i know i have vinegar at my house so next time i see some cool rocks on the ground i'll scrub and test them.
nickcamp12345 is offline  
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jaidexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 33919
Posts: 3,485
One more point, in the rare occasion that you soak a rock in vinegar for a day to remove any foreign alkaline deposits, and it turns out to be safe for the tank, soak it in a bucket of clean water for a few weeks before putting it in the tank, just to make sure all the vinegar it absorbs gets diluted back out. Or else it could affect your pH.
jaidexl is offline  
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Farmingdale, NY
Posts: 217
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
One more point, in the rare occasion that you soak a rock in vinegar for a day to remove any foreign alkaline deposits, and it turns out to be safe for the tank, soak it in a bucket of clean water for a few weeks before putting it in the tank, just to make sure all the vinegar it absorbs gets diluted back out. Or else it could affect your pH.
yeah. if im going to get rocks from my backyard, im going to be sure they are as clean as i could possibly get them. i'd hate to introduce a parasite or worms or something into the tank. i'll clean it first, test it with vinegar, clean again and i should be good.
nickcamp12345 is offline  
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Farmingdale, NY
Posts: 217
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Yeh, I read someone had problems from rock that did not fizz from vinegar test. Seems it does not always create enough acid.
doesn't it mean the rock is good for the tank if it doesnt fizz?
nickcamp12345 is offline  
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jaidexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 33919
Posts: 3,485
it either means that, or it may be an alkaline rock and the vinegar just isn't acidic enough to cause a reaction, Still, the rock might cause parameter fluctuations over time in the tank.
jaidexl is offline  
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I wish I knew.
Posts: 57
I use maple and oak twigs in my tanks with no problem, i just pick them right of the trees after they shed their leaves and nip the buds of. I live in Sweden though so your maple and oak might be different.
addo is offline  
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Farmingdale, NY
Posts: 217
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
what about a tulip tree? I have a pretty big one in my backyard and the branches usually come off in crazy shapes.
nickcamp12345 is offline  
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hilde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mableton, GA
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
I use maple and oak twigs in my tanks with no problem, i just pick them right of the trees after they shed their leaves and nip the buds of.


I read:
Sappy' (ie pine, cedar, beech, maple, sycamore) have high contents of Phenols and are toxic to most life forms in some respect. All of the aromatic woods contain toxic, volatile oils known as Phenols. The best woods for the aquariums are from fruit bearing trees (apple, pear, cherry, walnut, oak etc.)



Hilde is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome