Background - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm going to move my tank and completely redo it now that I'm getting a slight feel for what I'm doing. When I move it I want to choose a new background since the original one from when it was a community tank sort of stands out like a sore thumb.

I've been looking at alot of the contestant entries on youtube and even though I won't get close to that level I was wondering about the backgrounds they use. Some of them look as if they're lighted, almost as if it's a sunset.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I could make myself a nice background? I've used oil based paint for a black background before and was thinking of going for a light blue.

I'm on a budget but want to get the nicest tank I can, any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
The backgrounds you speak of are usually not directly attached to the glass of the aquarium, and the lighting you see is actually within the gap between the aquarium glass and the backdrop, which is sometimes the wall itself.

This thread may be helpful.

75 Gallon Planted Tank Journal, Details | 5.5 Gallon Reef
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Thanks for the link, thats exactly what I was thinking of. Only problem now is I've got all kinds of equipment on the back of my tank. Looks like i'm gonna have to make some compromises.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode