The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hows my aquascape?

7K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  Green Leaf Aquariums 
#1 · (Edited)
How is my scape? I know I need to still move the rocks about 3/4" to the right to hit the golden ratio.

Craig

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The golden rule is 'treat others as you wish to be treated.' ;) The golden ratio, sometimes referred to as the golden section, is what you're going for. :) The rule of thirds works well too as they're very similar in application.

I'd move the rock on the left a bit to the left, the rock on the right a bit more to the right. As they stand they're dividing the tank in half with that gap being the focal point instead of the crest of the rock on the right.

#3 ·
The golden rule is 'treat others as you wish to be treated.' ;) The golden ratio, sometimes referred to as the golden section, is what you're going for. :) The rule of thirds works well too as they're very similar in application.

I'd move the rock on the left a bit more to the left, the rock on the right a bit more to the right. As they stand they're dividing the tank in half with that gap being the focal point instead of the crest of the rock on the right.

Oops stand corrected Brain hasn't had coffee yet. Yeah I bumped the rocks when I was planting the UG and forgot to go back and fix them till after I added water. I will probably change out the water today when more plants arrive and fix it.

Craig

#8 ·
Is the plan to have a think carpet surrounding the rock? Do you plan to use any hairgrass or E. vivipara?

Orlando

P.S
We have an Aquascaping Forum!!!

I've got some hairgrass not sure if I want to use it.

Also got the following plants coming:

Java Fern Mini
Anubia 'petite'
Mini pellia
dwarf ricca
Rotala mini 1
Lindernia sp India
Erio 'Aus'
Hydrocotyle Verticillata
Triangle Moss

Not usre what or how much I will use just like to have options to choose from.

Craig

#12 ·
I like the plant list, but Im not sure how the stem plants will work in the scape. With mini pellia and dwarf riccia and moss maybe hairgrass would be the way to go?

Orlando
Yeah, that is why ordered a ton of stuff to work with so I can lay it all out

Craig

#13 ·
The large rock on the right looks menacing. It is frightening the smaller rocks. LOL

Seriously, though, that's the first thing that came to my mind. Looks good, though!

Yeah, I can see that I need to fix it here in abit.

Craig

#15 ·
Well I did some readjusting of all 3 rocks and am filling the tank back up now.

As far as plants thinking of keeping just UG if I can find some more for the rest of the tank and some dwarf ricca and/ or mini pellia. Kind of want to use a Mini java fern attached to the point on the tall rock maybe aswell.

Had to add some more AS Powder around the rocks after moving them but I think I like it. I will take some pics in abit as I fill from a 5g bucket sitting upto and use airline to slowly fill the tank so as to not disturb too much of the tank.

Craig

#17 ·
Im not to familiar with the dimensions of this tank, but maybe E. vivipara would work well for the back corners of the tank.

I think stem plants would take over the tank of this size and take the focus off of the pellia and moss plants. I think a minimalist approach would work well for this tank..

Farmer, Orlando

#19 ·
Well after some playing and refilling I really like the feeling. It feels/ looks liek it was ot once all together and due to natural causes has slipped apart.

The large rock on the right went slightly to the right about 3/4" but I tilted and sunk it in abit so it wasn't so tall.

The rock on the left went about 1/2" to the left, 3/8" forward and rotated counter clockwise about 1/2" or so.

The rock in the middle I pulled out of the substrate on the right side a touch so it wasn't so low lying.

Pics are crap but well the camera isn't playing nice today.

Craig

#21 ·
Thanks I've narrowed my list down to the following:

UG
Eleocharis 'Belem'
Fissidens Splachnobryoides
Mini Pellia
Dwarf Ricca

I have a couple of small rocks I will cover in Dwarf Ricca and want to attach abit of pellia around the edges.

Craig

#29 ·
I can easily move the slope up higher in the back as I wait on my plants to arrive for there. How much more should I go? another inch would put me at 3.75" in the back right corner, 2.5" front right corner, 1.5" front left corner and 2.25" in the back left corner. I really like the rocks this way and have tweeked them abit more just haven't taken any pics. I will be doing a water change later today so I can easily draing hte tank down and add more depth to the back right corner. May make the rocks flow better aswell with more hill there. I think until it all grows in it will look a touch off. I also need to play with the camera some more Olympus Stylus 720SW series.

Until the UG grows in Idon't want to pull up 100 small pieces to do much with the front even though I may as I have nothing better to do today and I could use the fill further up hill.

Craig

#31 ·
Well out came all the UG, Rocks on the left and center got turned to face down hil and added about 2" more to the back right corner. Just got the UG replanted (was starting to show root growth already). I really like the way it looks.

Thanks for the help. Pics as soon as its done filling and the AS Powder sinks as some of it wants to float.

Craig

#32 ·
Well here are a few pics. Subtrate depth is as follows:

Front Left- 1.5"
Front right- 2.25"
Back left- 2"
Back Right 4.5"

Rock got changed so they are all pointing downhill. Replanted all the UG. Water is still a touch cloudy. I have some extra plants coming that I may sell/ trade for more UG if I don't like the looks of the UG and Eleocharis 'Belem' combo that I will be using.

Sorry pics are crap...

Craig

#35 ·
They are 13 watt OTT lights. I found them one sale at a fabric store but they can also be found online. I have 2 of them. I may sell them in a couple of months and get the Mini M light but these work for now.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.