40g Aquascape: Input/Suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
PTrader: (0/0%)
40g Aquascape: Input/Suggestions

Alright give me some input, what do yall think? I hope to add crypt spiralis as a background plant across the middle to sort of fill the empty space.

There is a gap between the willow hygro (behind the rocks) and the red wendtii that I will probably just close up.

There is bacopa in the back right corner behind the crypt undulata. I just split and propogated it, and am waiting for it to grow back up.

I need something better to put in front of the red wendtii. Not sure what. It is filled with young crypts right now.

I would like to replace the short sag chillensis in the front left corner with something appropriate. Preferably something bushy that can be kept at 4-5 inches tall. This could be the same plant that would sit in front of the red wendtii.

The balansae was added a couple of weeks ago and lost about half of its leaves. I believe it is starting to grow back.

Edit: I have medium light and dose flourish and excel once a week at water changes. The substrate is eco-complete.
Fish Include: Praecox, Harlequins, Brilliant Rasbora, Trillis, Kuhlis, Amano's, and a Swordtail.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (6/100%)
The main issue I see is that a focal point seems to be lost. Right now, I see 3 focal points with the left, middle, and right side. What I would do is try to make one side or area more prominent than the others. To achieve this, I would shift the driftwood to the right and focus on making that area densely planted. This is only my opinion, and disregard it if you think the scape is perfectly fine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
PTrader: (0/0%)
I get what you are saying, and I agree with you from a design aspect. However, I think that I like the current layout well enough, that making major changes like that is more than I want to get into at this point. When I move someday, I will have to tear down the tank, and will probably rebuild with a slightly different layout.

I think what I am looking for the most right now is help with choosing the right plants to complete and tweak the current setup. I am leaning toward C. Willisii for a few of the areas, but would need to find a seller.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru
PTrader: (6/100%)
Investigate/incorporate PPS Pro for better plant growth. You have no "Macros".
If the plants you have, had more normal growth they would fill in better allowing you to have a much fuller amount of them.
That would change the whole appearence of the scape.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru
PTrader: (13/100%)
I think once the plants fill in it'll look a lot better. One thing I might do is move the wood just a little to the right, maybe coming out of that open space between the rocks right there. That would offset it some and create a better focal point than it just being in the center sorta by itself now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode