Input on a 12g Long Hardscape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Input on a 12g Long Hardscape

So I picked up a Mr Aqua 12g long today and thought I would do a little sandboxing. Stone is granite I collected from a nearby creek and manzanita was collected from a few decent sized plants that were killed by a big falling oak branch during a santa ana wind and have been drying in the yard for a year or two. You can't really tell in the pic, but a few of the granite rocks have veins of quartz running through them that look pretty cool.

The idea I have is to carpet it with something, most likely s. repens since it seems to be a little easier. I'm planning on putting 2-3 blyxa plants in the rock group on the left side. On the right side I'm thinking a little patch of dwarf pennywort right in front of the large "stump" maybe another blyxa or two and either a red crypt I have or maybe some rotala rotundifolia behind the stump. Maybe gonna attach a anubias nana petite to the stump.

running a aquatek paintball regulator on it, a finnex fugeray 30" that I'm gonna fabricate a couple acrylic struts to hold it in place and most likely an eheim 2213/15.

Not sure if I'm trying to make it too busy. Any input/constructive criticism is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12g long.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	340633  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Algae Grower

I am a total novice at this but when I look at it I see two different tanks in one. I was thinking that moving the wood more center and incorperating the rocks out from there.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the materials a lot! I think that with the wood and rocks so separated, it does have a very disconnected feel. Just noticed the container of river rocks behind the tank... Maybe you could do a bit of a "river bank" scape. If you can combine the rocks and wood on one side, sloped a little higher, then have everything trail down towards the opposite side to the open "river bed" that might look cool. Might need some more small branches to simulate more roots since it's so long. Something kinda like this:

Then you can have all your tall plants growing near and around the wood, transitioning to the medium height plants where the wood/rocks are lower, then finally the s. repens to fill in around the edge before bare sand (at least I think that's sand in there). Btw, what is the substrate? haha

I really am digging that big log you've got... Off to a nice start!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjclassic View Post
I am a total novice at this but when I look at it I see two different tanks in one. I was thinking that moving the wood more center and incorperating the rocks out from there.
Ya, now that you mention I can see it. I'll see what I can do about making it look more like one scape instead of two separate ones. I kinda want to keep the focus on the stone group though and just have the wood off to the side. I'm thinking once I get the carpet going it might help to bring it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post
I like the materials a lot! I think that with the wood and rocks so separated, it does have a very disconnected feel. Just noticed the container of river rocks behind the tank... Maybe you could do a bit of a "river bank" scape. If you can combine the rocks and wood on one side, sloped a little higher, then have everything trail down towards the opposite side to the open "river bed" that might look cool. Might need some more small branches to simulate more roots since it's so long. Something kinda like this: [IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/maciekmichalski/Ryuboku/_DSC9117.jpg[IMG]

Then you can have all your tall plants growing near and around the wood, transitioning to the medium height plants where the wood/rocks are lower, then finally the s. repens to fill in around the edge before bare sand (at least I think that's sand in there). Btw, what is the substrate? haha

I really am digging that big log you've got... Off to a nice start!
I was doing this on the dinner table until I get a chance to make a stand for it and that container of rock is the mrs'. centerpiece with some lucky bamboo stalks, lol. I'm not sure about the smaller rocks though since I don't intend for much of the substrate to be showing once it is grown in. Oh and this "substrate" is just some extra unwashed multi-purpose sand I had laying around so I could play with the rocks. I'm probably going to run some potting soil capped by flourite black or maybe some amazonia if my starving college student budget can allow. I kind of wanna keep the majority of the tank open for my ember tetras that are going to be moving in, the tallest plant I wanna put in is the crypt behind the stump and it's only about 6-7" tall. In my 20L they hide a little more in the taller plants than I would like. I'm hoping they'll be out and a little more active with an open scape.

Here's a couple modifications I made:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12g long2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	340761  

Name:	12g long3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	340769  

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
I was doing this on the dinner table until I get a chance to make a stand for it and that container of rock is the mrs'. centerpiece with some lucky bamboo stalks, lol. I'm not sure about the smaller rocks though since I don't intend for much of the substrate to be showing once it is grown in. Oh and this "substrate" is just some extra unwashed multi-purpose sand I had laying around so I could play with the rocks. I'm probably going to run some potting soil capped by flourite black or maybe some amazonia if my starving college student budget can allow. I kind of wanna keep the majority of the tank open for my ember tetras that are going to be moving in, the tallest plant I wanna put in is the crypt behind the stump and it's only about 6-7" tall. In my 20L they hide a little more in the taller plants than I would like. I'm hoping they'll be out and a little more active with an open scape.

Here's a couple modifications I made:
Oh, I see now the bamboo, haha. My bad. I don't suppose she'd be thrilled if you stole the river rocks from the kitchen table...

Yeah, the amazonia is not too bad of a price from ADA ($30 a bag last I bought some a month ago)...until you add the $15 for shipping, haha. When I got a bag, I was sure to order some other things to spread out the shipping cost some.

I can tell that you like those rocks the way they are. I like them too, but I still think it looks like the two scapes aren't quite married to one another. I think you may need to pick either the stones or the large log as the center-piece to the hardscape and minimize the appearance of the other somewhat. It's almost like a battle of the elements in the tank, which just might work with plants and such, I'm not very gifted at this point in visualizing what a tank would look like with plants.

Maybe if the largest stone were a little less pronounced. Or perhaps if the rocks pointed all to the right like the largest one, give some flow in one direction instead of the more random arrangement. I agree that once it's grown in, the smaller rocks already in there will barely show, especially with s repens. So no need to add yet smaller ones if you don't plan on having substrate show.

Those are my thoughts at the moment, in the end, it's what you're happy with that matters (and I guess the mrs too, haha).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode