The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help me re-scape 40b

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  psalm18.2 
#1 ·
Sick of my 40gb tank. Help me create a dazzling aqua scape. Tank is visable from both sides, it devides a room.

See less See more
#4 ·
You really need to help us out. Don't make us do all the thinking for you. Look for ideas around the web that suit your tastes. Then narrow it down some more. When you've finally settled on an design concept, show it to us so we can help further. Otherwise, this could potentially turn into a long-winded thread with no direction since none was given.

#5 ·
Since the tank is viewable from 3 sides, i would recommend keeping the sword where it is and making a 'peninsula'-shaped arrangement. These tend to be the most practical and best-looking aquascapes in tanks that are viewable from the front and back.

Add some appropriately-sized rocks to form the general shape of a peninsula (not too many though, as you don't want it to be too linear), making sure to keep the side farthest from the wall empty. Making the peninsula consume approximately 2/3 of the length of the tank would be a good place to start. The stones must vary in size in order to give some sense of depth. Relocate the stem plants to the area near the sword/in the middle of the tank.

Get your hands on some good stones/driftwood and mess around with the placement until you find an arrangement that is pleasing to you. Post photos here for critiques and advice. It will be much easier for people to advise you when some sort of hardscape is in place.

On a side note, it appears that you have a non-aquatic plant-- Alternanthera ficoidea-- in the front of the tank in the last photo.

#6 ·
Thanks. Yah, there's some debate on the green hedge plant. Some say aquatic, others not. Waiting to see.

Got a great sale price on driftwood at my favorite LFS today.

This is my idea. The sword basically hides the heater and deflects fikter flow. I pulled out some old rocks I had. Thinking along these lines;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.