The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help with aquascape

613 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fish from Philly 
#1 ·
This is my first aquascape. First aquarium period. 80gallon tank.

My thought process is that the driftwood is the main focal point and the front 3 stones on the right as a secondary focal point.

AND

1) I like the idea of the driftwood emerging from stone
2) I also want a pleco that is why I have the cave at the very right of the tank

After browsing thru picture of other tanks I think that part of what I am missing is empty space at the front of the tank and I think that I may want to raise the left/right back of the tank to give more contour to aquascape.

I was also tempted by a path but that isn't what I really want. I want the right and left side of the tank to be visually distinguished. I think that I want to do that by elevating both of the sides without actually putting a path in between them. Ideally the "path" is just a place where plants would't grow.

Any ideas on how to create a visual seperation between the right and the left without putting in a path? And How would i create a section of the tank where plants wouldn't grow.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first tank! Your idea of keeping some space open is a good one. The fish will appreciate it plus it will add value to the parts that you did fill in! Sounds like you did already but reading up on golden ratio was very helpful for me.

You can create separation using plants and/or grade differences. I see an opportunity to buildup the left side so that the wood and rocks are higher than the right side. I agree that the sides could be higher than the middle and back. The "V" layout is popular and is great for adding depth.

The cave is cool idea! You could even make it larger imo. Chances are the pleco will hang out on the wood during the day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.