The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need help creating a scape

2K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Farmer 
#1 ·
I have a 4.5g nano dimensions are 13.75"x8.25"x9.25". I have 1" Amazonia base, fluval 20g co2 kit, 2211 with lily pipes, and finnex 26w epoch light. I have started growing DHG for a mat but not sure where to go past that. Tank has Sakura Shrimp, Oto Cats, Chili Rasboras, Ramshorn snails, and nerite snails. Looking for help with choosing plants and hard scape as well as placement.
Plant Green Light Botany Nature
Plant Green Light Botany Grass
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Grass
Vertebrate Plant Glass Grass Aquatic plant

See less See more
#4 ·
I have nothing for hard scape I want to add some black rock to stand out against the green but unsure which type to get and where to get it from. I need something that is shrimp friendly. I would like to have some plants that add other colors to the tank as well. I'd like an oped field of just the DHG in the center and maybe going to the front left side with the rock formations in the back left. Other than that I have no clue where to go. Bunched plants or moss wall hiding equipment? Shorter stem plants at the base of hard scape?

#5 ·
Local rock quarries or landscaping supply shops usually have nice rocks and you avoid spending the premium that you would at your LFS. Maybe you could find something you like there.

Here are a lot of good examples that you may find inspiration from.
http://en.iaplc.com/results12/top200vote/

#7 ·
Hi Chris,

If you want a tank similar to the one's above there are a few things you should look at. First notice how the substrate in nearly all the tanks you look at is higher at the back than at the front? This is to create the illusion of greater depth. This is one thing your tank needs.

Secondly it is best if you have a lot of options when you are choosing which rocks to use. That means if you intend on using say 3 rocks in your tank than have maybe 10 to choose from. I agree with thelub about where to get rocks. But depending on where you live you might be easily able to find rocks for free that you like. Have a look around, go out of town, have a look on the side of roads etc. I have never bought a rock for a tank in my life.

When you have your rocks it would be a good idea to get a cardboard box as close to the size of your tank as possible, you can even make one considering your tank is so small. The reason for this is you can cut the top and most of the front out of the box, just leave say an inch or a bit more of a lip on the lower front edge. So you have a replica of your tank in which you can fiddle with your placement without having to work in underwater etc. Just put some other gravel or potting mix or something in as substrate .

That way you can take a photo of what you like and ask for suggestions/help and it is easy to change it. Once you are happy then you transfer that hardscape to your tank in one move.

Linds

#11 ·
The grouping of rocks will get lost once you have plants and things in there. Try making less of a pile. That big one looks nice and might work better if it is sitting tall instead of laying down.

Might try to make it look more like a rubble pile that fell so the big one is on one side and the smaller ones "flow" away from it. Those are nice rocks and I think you should be able to come up with something pretty nice with them.

#17 ·
Ok, now you have the idea of the box working. I agree with lub that the largest rock needs to sit upright, maybe on an angle. It's easier to do with some sort of soil/gravel in the box. but what you are doing is ok.

Notice how all the scapes you have tried are squeezed into the corner of your tank? Usually this is avoided because it tends to give the impression of less depth/space. Weird as it sounds if you bring the rocks out from the edge and take up more of your tank space it will give you more depth to your tank.

Try placing the large rock around about 1/3 of the way from one side of the tank and just over half way back.

Search Iwagumi in google images and have a look at the ones you like. notice how they all tend to have a larger rock to one side then other rocks arranged around them?

I love your stones too. Keep trying, you will find something that works sooner or later. :icon_bigg

Lindsay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.