Have I overdone it? 120p hardscape advice - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the way the tree fits over the rock in the first scape but it fights with the largest stone. Wonder how it would look on the other side of the tank near the largest stone.

Whatever you come up with is going to be nice. Your stones have multiple interesting faces, each arrangement you have come up with has been interesting. I like the mystery when there is a concave face to the stone especially.

120 pounds of rock? Might want to do this in a cardboard mockup so the glass isn't in danger and you don't have to reach in to move things around. I have no idea how many pounds of rock are in my tank but once a big one was placed I sure didn't want to move it again! Lucky for me the stones were never intended to be very visible once the tank was grown in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Put back in the tree it looks better with it.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like it with the tree, if you decide to sell it let me know, im looking for that style for my 20L
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is fun. I'll join.

I would tackle it this way: First, cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the tank's footprint. Play with the stones there until you come up with an arrangement you like enough to keep overnight, look at again the next day, and so on. There is no real benefit to doing this in the tank; it only slows down the changes and risks the glass.

First, decide on the best position for the biggest rock; I personally think it is close to the original way it sat. Given the size of the pieces, I agree that the tree and biggest rock need to be part of the same focal point, much like the second contest tank shown. So work the next rock and the wood into the picture once the big rock is set. The rest should just be a matter of experimenting until you get one worthy of getting wet.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

Have I overdone it? 120p hardscape advice

Original is my fav. I think it closely matches your referenced images. Its good to have an image to work from and vision to design toward.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Post #11, last one, minus biggest rock, plus tree, I think would look the best. You don't want two focal points, either the tree or largest stone,otherwise it will look unbalanced.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

That tree is So Awesome.. use it as your centerpiece. You don't have to stand it, it could be at an angle or laid down sideways.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

To me the rocks are all sort of the same "too big" size. That "tree" doesn't work at all in there, especially considering the size of the rock. With the five stones, I would do two groups, one with two stones and one with three. Arrange to minimize size and to portray a "eroded" feeling. Those stones are very sharp and young looking, it will be difficult to find an angle that makes them appear weathered . Good luck, I think you have good intuition for this.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

first layout with the large rock removed or placed deeper. I like the "tree"
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

Maybe try first layout with one of the rocks removed by the tree?
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkatraz View Post

This one has really nice proportions and interest.

That is also a cool looking tree. I could see it used with the larger vertical stone immediately behind and to the side of the tree to reinforce the vertical element (like in the pictures that Kathyy referenced).

eg:

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 02-28-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: .
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

I like that digital rendition a lot!

Very close to the theme of the inspiration photos!
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The rocks lack a certain character. I would also suggest sloping the substrate higher in the rear and shallow as you can in the front, over time, this will slide forward unless the plant roots are established quick.

You can moss the rocks by chopping up some moss, and spreading the moss with some tank water and and about 10% yogurt. and then keep the rocks moist with plastic wrap outside on the north side of the house if the temps are not freezing, or in a window sill etc.

Some folks do a dry start method and mist the moss daily for about 2 weeks, then they fill the tank.

Mossing the stone will add an old natural feel and moss is a different color of green than the other plants. You can and should leave some spots bare so the rock shows through.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tom, this was suggested by Kathyy on the first page, and I think incorporates some moss like you suggested as well:

I think he has the rocks that can accomplish a similar look, if that's what he's going for.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 03-01-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: sp
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Have I overdone it? 120p hardscape advice

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

The referenced pics were suggested by Kathyy and i pasted them for easy viewing but I won't be going for a miniature mountain scene style. (Where the wood becomes a mini "tree" and the stones are mountains) I may end up with a few larger fish in the tank (angels perhaps) which would ruin any attempt at mini proportions IMO.

Nice work of the photochop! I'll give that a try myself.

I did initially lay things out on cardboard with towels for support but in my eagerness I moved things to the tank too early. Good point about watching for glass damage.

I'm going to try more "3 stones" then "wood + center stone + 1 stone" layouts as suggested, if that doesn't work out I think I'll go back to one of the early egs and maybe try <cringe> breaking up the tree. The tree as is barely fits in the tank, I already broke off one side of it for it to fit. If I break it up further ill have more flexibility for deeper placement and potentially smaller groupings of placements.

I'll be taking another run at it this weekend and will post updates. Thanks again, really appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Current Tank: ADA 120P Iwagumi
[Buildup Questions 120P Lighting? | 120P Filter?] | 120P Hardscape?
Previous Tank: 7.9g Fluval Flora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode