My first tank - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,546
My first tank

This is my first planted tank. Thanks to everyone on this forum for guiding me to the right direction.

Attachment 77914

Attachment 77922
Attachment 77930
Attachment 77938
Attachment 77946
Attachment 77954
Attachment 77962
Attachment 77970
Attachment 77978

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/onephattai/media/banners/alanle.png.html

Last edited by AlanLe; 04-24-2013 at 06:45 PM.
AlanLe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 11
Interesting design! So organized too! How long have the plants been growing out? Are you going for a full lawn? Maybe this could benefit from a few more larger plants?
Hishifishy is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishifishy View Post
Interesting design! So organized too! How long have the plants been growing out? Are you going for a full lawn? Maybe this could benefit from a few more larger plants?
Thanks! Actually I dont want the tank to look too busy with larger plants. I just hope the HC will grow and cover the floor in 2 months. Most of the plants in this tank are 2 months old. The HC is new, crossing my fingers on it.
AlanLe is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 689
Agree, very organized I see you're in San Jose - you should consider joining SFBAAPS

Also I notice you're doing your micros on the same day as your macros - you might want to alternate days or make sure you dose them a minute or two apart, as the macros/micros can interact and precipitate out of solution
l8nite is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HybridHerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 3,892
Hey, you're using the same diffuser as I am :P

I find it a little hard to judge your scape since it is growing in still, but one thing that I immediatly noticed was that you have the red cabomba right next to wallichi.....I'd move them away from eachother because they are rather similar in terms of apperance (fine leafed and red). Aside from that, I also fel like perhaps you should get some larger rooted plants, like a lace plant or a big old sword or even a large crypt (or lagenandra if you come across a good piece).

Aside from that

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Agree, very organized I see you're in San Jose - you should consider joining SFBAAPS

Also I notice you're doing your micros on the same day as your macros - you might want to alternate days or make sure you dose them a minute or two apart, as the macros/micros can interact and precipitate out of solution
Thanks for the info. I'll dose the trace elements on Tuesday and Wednesday instead. Do you think I also need iron? EI dosing guide does not list this fert.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Hey, you're using the same diffuser as I am :P

I find it a little hard to judge your scape since it is growing in still, but one thing that I immediatly noticed was that you have the red cabomba right next to wallichi.....I'd move them away from eachother because they are rather similar in terms of apperance (fine leafed and red). Aside from that, I also fel like perhaps you should get some larger rooted plants, like a lace plant or a big old sword or even a large crypt (or lagenandra if you come across a good piece).

Aside from that
I'll probably move the cabomba and wallichi out. My main concern is the HC. I don't know if it will grow or not. My water parameter is pH 7.2, KH 9.5. Do you think I should lower KH down a bit?
AlanLe is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,113
Great start ! My cabinets look that organized for a week if im lucky !
For a less "busy look" you might want to try a plain dark background. The plants and fish will "pop" more and make things look a lot neater...... Just my 2c ;-)

We didnt underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. -Bobby Robson

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win. -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,546
My first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
Great start ! My cabinets look that organized for a week if im lucky !
For a less "busy look" you might want to try a plain dark background. The plants and fish will "pop" more and make things look a lot neater...... Just my 2c ;-)
Im thinking of painting the tank to dark blue or black but it's hard to move things around with the water, plants and fishes already in placed. My only option is to replace film.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/onephattai/media/banners/alanle.png.html
AlanLe is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
CPDzeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 960
Great! Way better than my first tank at least in the beginning

ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 3,382
Nice first tank.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is online now  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower
 
Riversun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Viet Nam
Posts: 73
Send a message via Yahoo to Riversun Send a message via Skype™ to Riversun
Thay ci background pha sau thnh decal mu đen đi bạn, nhn hồ sẽ đẹp hơn đ. Trồng thm nhiều cy pha sau nữa, kiếm loại cy c mu đỏ trồng theo nhm tạo thm điểm nhấn cho hồ, 1 thng sau trn chu cuba b full hồ sẽ đẹp lắm đy. Thn
Riversun is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversun View Post
Thay ci background pha sau thnh decal mu đen đi bạn, nhn hồ sẽ đẹp hơn đ. Trồng thm nhiều cy pha sau nữa, kiếm loại cy c mu đỏ trồng theo nhm tạo thm điểm nhấn cho hồ, 1 thng sau trn chu cuba b full hồ sẽ đẹp lắm đy. Thn
Em cung mong la tran chau Cuba se moc. Anh co biet trong loai cay nay o?
AlanLe is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 AM
Algae Grower
 
Riversun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Viet Nam
Posts: 73
Send a message via Yahoo to Riversun Send a message via Skype™ to Riversun
My first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
Em cung mong la tran chau Cuba se moc. Anh co biet trong loai cay nay o?
Trn chu cuba cần 3 điều kiện để pht triển tốt:
1. Nước phải sạch, mỗi tuần thay 30% nước hồ, kết hợp ht cặn bẩn dưới đy.
2. nh sng đầy đủ, khoảng 1w/1 lt, kết hợp co2 khoảng 3-4 giọt/ 1 giy.
3. Nhiệt độ mt, khoảng 24-25 độ C.
Chc e c hồ đẹp nh.
Riversun is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,546
My first tank

Just few of my HC seem to melt. Is this normal?
Attachment 80178

The rest of the HC are fine.
Attachment 80186

The front and rear glass seem to have green spots. They are really tough to clean off. Are these algae?
Attachment 80194

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/onephattai/media/banners/alanle.png.html

Last edited by AlanLe; 04-24-2013 at 06:45 PM.
AlanLe is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Long-time Lurker
 
karce87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 156
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87
melting HC when first planted is normal. It needs time to take root. After that, If the condition is right, it will grow. The green algae is called green dot algae. Just use scraper or some type of card to clean it out
karce87 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome