Does my hardscape look natural? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 436
Question Does my hardscape look natural?

Hello, this is my first day on the forums and it's also my first post. I have joined this forum to obtain advice from experienced and non-experienced aquascapers.

So, this is my hardscape after spending about an hour figuring out what angle and position looks the best. My tank is a 20 gallon long that is dirted and covered with gravel. I plan to plant Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green, Dwarf Sagittaria, Rotala Indica, Flame Moss, and Marsilea Minuta. Do you guys think the hardscape should be rearranged or is it good as it is? Thanks and be completely honest please

Last edited by I3raven; 08-18-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: No longer active scape
I3raven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 11
I think the hardscape looks good. I think the size of the wood is good and the plants are going to look great together. Are you planning on covering the wood with flame moss?
Hishifishy is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishifishy View Post
I think the hardscape looks good. I think the size of the wood is good and the plants are going to look great together. Are you planning on covering the wood with flame moss?
Thanks for the feedback, yes, I am going to cover the unnatural cuts with flame moss. I'm probably going to plant densely.
I3raven is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 688
Does my hardscape look natural?

Nice plant selection. IMO the "point" of your wood is too centered. I find all the scapes I'm attracted to in rectangular tanks are off-center a bit. Maybe rotate it 180

I have pretty poor aquascaping skills though... :p
l8nite is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Nice plant selection. IMO the "point" of your wood is too centered. I find all the scapes I'm attracted to in rectangular tanks are off-center a bit. Maybe rotate it 180

I have pretty poor aquascaping skills though... :p
Yeah I was actually bothered by it and I had a feeling that it didn't look right. thanks for pointing that out.
I3raven is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 436
Which Hardscape setup is better?

Which one do you think is more natural or flowing. Or you could just pick whatever you believe looks better. It would be nice if you stated why. Thanks!

Last edited by I3raven; 08-18-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: No longer active scape
I3raven is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Kathyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 4,076
I am not sure you are framing the photos so we can tell if the wood is placed well. The most prominent part of the wood needs to be somewhere around 1/3-2/5 from one end or the other to be most comfortable for our eye. We need to see the whole length of the tank.

I like both scapes and I liked the first one too, just place them a bit off center and any would make up a nice picture for you. For a 20 long I might be leaning toward the one on the left as it implies movement with the long diagonal top edge which complements the long low tank shape. I would place the heaviest part of the largest bit of wood at the sweet spot first and see how that looks.

There are a lot of good threads here on developing your eye for satisfying scapes, here is one.
The Aquascaping Design Checklist
Kathyy is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I am not sure you are framing the photos so we can tell if the wood is placed well. The most prominent part of the wood needs to be somewhere around 1/3-2/5 from one end or the other to be most comfortable for our eye. We need to see the whole length of the tank.

I like both scapes and I liked the first one too, just place them a bit off center and any would make up a nice picture for you. For a 20 long I might be leaning toward the one on the left as it implies movement with the long diagonal top edge which complements the long low tank shape. I would place the heaviest part of the largest bit of wood at the sweet spot first and see how that looks.

There are a lot of good threads here on developing your eye for satisfying scapes, here is one.
The Aquascaping Design Checklist
Really helpful feedback, if not the best. I will post a full photo of the tank and a close up image of the driftwood. Thanks for the link and I hope you will view the full size image after I post it in a few hours.
I3raven is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Cinbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
Which one do you think is more natural or flowing. Or you could just pick whatever you believe looks better. It would be nice if you stated why. Thanks!
I like both of these. The first one gives the flowing look and perception, while the second one gives depth to the scape with the largest piece being the focal point and in the back. If I had to choose I would choose the second. But in all honesty, we need to see the entire tank as a whole. Snap a good pic of the entire tank, so we can see where the hardscape lies.

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
I like both of these. The first one gives the flowing look and perception, while the second one gives depth to the scape with the largest piece being the focal point and in the back. If I had to choose I would choose the second. But in all honesty, we need to see the entire tank as a whole. Snap a good pic of the entire tank, so we can see where the hardscape lies.
I couldn't agree with you more, I think the 2nd one would be more intriguing to the eye. I hope you guys could wait for another update. Thanks
I3raven is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Cinbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
I couldn't agree with you more, I think the 2nd one would be more intriguing to the eye. I hope you guys could wait for another update. Thanks
Of course we will wait!

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 436
Current Setup

This is my current setup

Last edited by I3raven; 08-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.
I3raven is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome