The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can't decide if "nice change" or "Oh God what have I done" :)

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jbrady33 
#1 · (Edited)
Did a "rip it all out and rescape" Treated all the old plants & wood with Excel to fight some old BBA that seems to have stopped spreading since I raised the light. Added some new 'grasses' and a Red Tiger Lotus from OVT (Thanks again!)

The shrimp were a little annoyed during all this, but they seem to be enjoying the wood immensely! Must have exposed some yummy eatin'!

the new:

the old

What do you think?

See less See more
#3 ·
:smile:

Moved the wood back against the tank to free up room in front (was a dead spot back there and was blocking the light in the middle of the tank)

I guess I was just used to it being dense & packed in and now everything is kinda short. Couldn't even see the mirrored back before - it's much more obvious now. Removed a lot of limnophila that was looking dull from the old growth, replanted the little green tops of some of it.

Can see the shrimp better now though! Now it's patients and wait for the growth again :smile:

#5 ·
I like the space that is available in the front now, but I think it would look pretty cool without as much groundcover. There's a lot going on in the tank and freeing up space in the front could look neat, especially after the plants in the back fill in more and create a "canopy" over that open area, kinda like a forest.
Just my idea, though.

#6 ·
+1 to ngrubich.

I like the newer look better. I think freeing up some ground cover in the front would make the other plants pop out more.

#10 ·
I think both looks are very busy, which might be your preference, but I do wonder if somewhat less substrate (seems tall) and fewer plant species might give a calmer more scaped kind of look. It is all personal preference, so getting my opinion probably won't help you at all.

#11 ·
All opinions welcome! :smile:

The substrate is about 2 inches, I can't keep anything planted in less (it always pops out and floats around)

If I ever have a high tech tank I will probably try for the groomed look - it is beautiful to see a high tech tank with the well defined areas and species in nice bushy groupings. For the 2 tanks I have now though (low tech) I do like the look of a dense green jungle (and the benefits from that much plant mass)

My other tank (need a new pic):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.