The Planted Tank Forum banner

plant purchase in first-time aquascape

506 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Opare 
#1 ·
Okay I have acquired most of the dry goods necessary to set up an ADA 90p. I sent $20 to Aquariumplants.com and after a brief and harsh exchange the fellow declined to provide me with aquascape services. This is the second misfire, another just stopped answering my calls though I still hold out hope his interest will be re-kindled.

So I will probably have to order the plants myself. My question is, how do I select the correct numbers of plants. As a practical matter my budget is unlimited and I would much rather spend more money for dense numbers of plants, than save money and have to wait longer for the plants to grow in. Plus, I want to reduce the various uncertainties in this, my first nature aquarium. I am easily pleased and easily discouraged.

Does anyone know the best source of carpeting plants and how to order them? Aquariumplants.com, the one that rejected me, sells turf that presumably can just be laid down, is that any good?

#2 ·
I can't tell you where to order plants as I don't live in the US, but determining how many you need really depends on your scape. Do you have a plan for it? Then you can make a rough idea of how much you need. You don't need to have the tank completely covered by the time you first plant it, but you should still plant relatively heavily.
The best way to plant carpeting plants is by splitting them up into smaller clumps, the smaller the better, individual stems or crowns is the best, and then planting them that way. It is painstaking work but you will get the best bang for your buck, and the plants spread more healthily that way.
I would look out for vendors that sell 'tissue-cultured' plants. They come in a plastic tub with jelly that you wash off. They are grown completely algae, pest etc. free and they are quite nice to work with IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.