The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plants for s 2.5 gal?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Lymore 
#1 ·
I have a java fern, and thats it.

I'd like some more plants, but I don't know what would be good.
The tank has an under gravel filter, so my assumption is that plants that need roots in the substrate are not a choice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ooo....an undergravel filter is going to make most plants difficult. Maybe some easy stems like anacharis would do okay...? But even stems grow roots...

You could do plants that need to be attached to hardscape such as your Java Fern, or Anubias. Maybe a dwarf lily

#7 ·
The java fern would be ok. I'd keep it and just add some dwarf anubias on the rocks.

If you use any type of moss you would need to constantly be trimming the moss. But with the anubias which are slow growing you will not need to be contantly trimming. But on the other hand, after looking at the size of the Java Fern and tank you will be needing to trim out the fern quite often just to keep it from overgrowing.

#8 ·
I think it depends on if it is a plant with deep roots like the amazon plants. For Hoppy had a tank with an undergravel filter. He had mostly hairgrass. I can't find the thread on it so will have to send him a pm for more info. Thread was about new way to insert Co2.

#11 ·
Hiya Lymore

Is that Purple Waffle / Purple Crinkle (Hemigraphis exotica, Hemigraphis colorata)?

I am pretty sure it is a bog plant and may not last longer than a month or so submerged. Its sooo pretty though.

And your little beta looks so happy!

#12 ·
Yea, it is purple waffle. I usually don't impulse buy plants because of the risk of getting a non aquatic plant, but it was so pretty, and I was at a store that is quite a drive for me.
I came home and looked it up and just about kicked myself.
But I still had to take some pictures, its so pretty :)
I'll have to find a another plant with red/purple colors in it (this time actually aquatic!). I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.