The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bookshelf needs some serious direction

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  tlriot 
#1 ·
I am at a loss with this tank. I've basically done everything wrong. I got it to prevent my betta from glass surfing (he didn't do it in his old acrylic tank) but he is doing it in this one so everything is coming out, and I'm painting the inside of the side and rear tank walls with Krylon Fusion.

I want this tank to be easy and simple. Java ferns, anubias, mosses, maybe some crypts. The driftwood in there now is not ideal at all, but I'm going to try and work with it. I am willing to get more hardscape, I'm not sure if I want to do wood only or mix in some stone.

Another issue I'm running into is that I only have enough aquasoil for maybe half this tank (it's almost done cycling) and I really don't want to shell out another $36 for a bag I only need part of. I've considered a sand bank on the left and having the hardscape and plants on the right to hide the tech. I also wondered about a moss carpet and river stones.

Honestly, I just need some ideas. I was so excited for this project and it's gone so wrong because of making hasty decisions and poor planning. If I hadn't have already painted the back of the tank I would just return it. Hey... it's Christmas time. Maybe I can sell it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a fully cycled, scaped 5g aquarium he was in, but he is chasing his reflection constantly, unless all the tank and room lights are completely off. Before he was in his glass aquarium (the one link in my signature) he was in an acrylic tank while I finished that tank and he never glass surfed, so I got a larger acrylic tank for him hoping it would solve the problem, but he still sees his reflection so I have to either a. Keep him in the 2.5g tank I know he doesn't surf in, or b. paint the inside of this one so keep him from seeing himself 24/7. I have had bettas that did this, but never to this degree. This tank is cycled with seeded media from my other tank.

I'm asking what sort of layout or design I should try with what I have so far, since I really just do not like it. I'm also very stumped about substrate.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have them painted right now, going to let it cure for 48+ hours and give myself some time to plan the actual scape. I'm really stumped on the layout with this hunk of wood and substrate issue.

I think I have a plan of action. I may get some stones, with or without moss, and I want a couple more anubias on the right side of the stump to break up the java ferns. I'm either doing all sand substrate, or trying a sand bank that takes up most of the left side, and use the aquasoil on the right to plant some crypts.

Attachments

#8 ·
I keep my Betta fish with 7 Harlequin rasbora. Even though he a bit aggressive and like to flare at my other fish and chase them however no harm was done. Just remember to keep a group of other fish so that Betta will only harassed one at a time. Your Java fern may actually provide covers for them. Use fertilized soil for crypt or inert substrate of 2-3mm with root tabs. Avoid using fine sand for plants. Just remember to buy macro and micro ferts for your plants.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
6.5g is enough for a small school? I used to have a community tank with a betta, and he was so happy. I'm worried this one may be too aggressive, but I was planning on getting some ember tetras for my 5g, so maybe I will try them with him first and move them if it looks like a massacre in the making. Or pygmy cories... I do love those guys.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Looks like it's coming together just fine. Not sure if the stones are necessary. If you want to keep them, you might have more success arranging them such that their grain lines up. Also, try not to have any shapes that are square with the sides of the tank. For example, the large stone in the middle: its sides are perpendicular to the edges of your rectangular aquarium. This creates the impression of right angles, which is not a very natural look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.