The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Dutch Style Aquascape...

20K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  BettaBettas 
#1 ·

The Dutch Style Aquascaped Aquarium....
A wonder of magical colors and beautiful vibrant plants.
A home to dreams and more.
A wondrous journey of age.
A Dream come true...

As most know, I am owner to a 75G aquarium, which I have not set up yet sadly, but im planning to after my house is built.
So before the house is built im trying to plan out this aquarium, so I wont have to later on.
The style I've chosen for the aquarium is the Dutch Style, which is very common and was created in the early 1930's, works of art and some of the best aquariums are from this style of aquascaping. And its also just plane beautiful, you cant look at those 2 pics above and say there ugly lol :3

So my goal is to try and conquer this extreme Dutch challenge with my bare hands (hands slowly arise from your computer screen)
Ok lets get to the point, when I do get this aquarium set up and ready to aquascape ill of course make a journal because even I wouldn't want to miss this. And ill also be using the rule of thirds, for those of you who don't know what that is.... Google is your best friend.
The Plans are below:
So I plan to have 1 species of plant per foot in this aquarium, so every foot will be a different plant, maybe less than a foot im not going to be on point exact. I want the background to have mostly green but in the right side before it hits the right side of the tank, I want some red or orange so its pops out the background. I don't want to much reds and other than green colors because it can just ruin the whole thing with To much color.
Plants:
Saurus Cernuus and Lobelia Cardinalis
-
Hygrofilia Corymbosa and Limnophila Aquatica, this plant is extremely common to the Dutch scape
-
Cryptocoryne
-
Alternanthera Reineckii, Ammania, Rotala, or Tiger Lotus
-
Java Moss

And that's all the plants for now that are involved in my plan.

This is a quote from The aquarium Guide.com thought it was good ->

The Dutch aquascaping style is defined by its use of many different plants, but it also distinguishes itself from other aquascaping styles through its use of terraces and space.
Creating a scene of organized chaos simultaneously facilitates a balanced and calm ecosystem of aquatic plants and fish.
As a result, the background-foreground play is a difficult balancing act between creating focal points and contrast between each object of your design.
The key to success for the determined aquascaper is to be able to imagine your end result as you begin your design. While difficult to imagine at first, proper care and cultivation will create an end result that is natural and beautiful.
-
Any suggestions or comments would be super helpful with this since I have no clue what im doing I just sound like I do lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe think about how to use color to separate the layers. In that photo they are using the colors and also graduated inclines... I really like this style.

Reactions: BettaBettas
#6 ·
I know lol, but im not focusing on that part yet. don't get me wrong their in my plan. also anyone know of any real good substrates or real good orange looking plants, I don't have enough species of plants or ones that I want
if you suggest a plant please provide a picture :) :( thanks

#17 ·

Just remember these pictures are not the way the tank will look all the time. Your dealing with lots of stems that have different growth rates and issues. Pictures like this you see are taken during a "sweet spot" where everything seems to come together. Those fish in the picture are tightly schooling because they were most likely put in the tank right before the pic was taken.

I'm not trying to discourage you. You can certainly have an incredible tank with many different stem plants, but it's alot of work so be prepared to be late for work, being looked at funny by your significant other. Oh and you'll need a good camera and max out your camera skills.
IM READY FOR DA WURK
Stay busy all the time! :)
I don't think ill get gloves but its a good idea! lol idk maybe I will ill be like a scientist!

I need to get my photo game up to par. I have a 5D with 50mm prime 1.2, 50mm macro, 24-105. Are you using flash or just taking photos with all the lights off?

My girlfriend is giving me the shade also with the mad looks. Today it is "you care more about the plants than the litter box, the cats are going to get a UTI."
take photos with all lights in area off, so all you see is the tank and no flash! :O

#12 ·

Just remember these pictures are not the way the tank will look all the time. Your dealing with lots of stems that have different growth rates and issues. Pictures like this you see are taken during a "sweet spot" where everything seems to come together. Those fish in the picture are tightly schooling because they were most likely put in the tank right before the pic was taken.

I'm not trying to discourage you. You can certainly have an incredible tank with many different stem plants, but it's alot of work so be prepared to be late for work, being looked at funny by your significant other. Oh and you'll need a good camera and max out your camera skills.

#13 ·
LOL! Have you ever decided to call out of work to do aquarium work? What camera are you using and lens?

I can relate to the weird looks. My GF just shakes her head.

#23 ·
Ok so currently I am picking out or trying to, pick out the fish that will go into this 75Gallon aquarium, so heres my list so far

SAE (Siamese algae eaters)

Clean up crew below
Shrimp (plz suggest what kind)
Snails (plz suggest what kind)

really those aren't even "Fish" lol that's a bunch of cleaning fish lol, anyone have any suggestions to the main fish in the tank, I plan on buying a discus pair (ik ik very expensive and difficult ik), and many tetras? tetras sound good? (Neons)

#33 ·
ah ok, are they compatible with most if not all fish? that wont hurt them first.

Bump:
Clean up crews are nice, but they're not going to really control algae if something is off.

Otos instead of SAEs and get some Amano Shrimps.
will take into considerations shrimps are a positive
I did a semi-Dutch tank for a year or two. It's now a farm/experiment tank. Journal here: Going Dutch with Aquasoil - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

It's a lot of fun. Make sure you have an open tank that you reach in and trim and move things around. Aquasoil is nice, but can get a cloudy if you move plants around a lot - and you will need to move them around a lot. You can do it with Eco-complete as well. I had better luck with aquasoil.

You will probably need more than 1 species per foot to get good effect. If I recall it's 3 per foot. My 180 gal (6-foot) was meant to have 18 species, but it invariably climbed from collectoritis to 20 -25 speices. It now has 50 species but it is not longer a Dutch tank. :)

True Dutch styles also use rosette plants, which have fallen out of favor. Hard to get the contrast you need without rosettes.

Think:
floppy rosettes (Nymphea, new swords, some aponogetons)
vertical grasses (Cyperus, Vals, Isoetes, Crypts, Erio feather duster, etc)
soft mosses (so many these days)
fuzzy green stems (Pogo erectus, Limno indica)
round round (Bacopa, Lindernia,)
green big leaf stems (Giant hygro, Big buce, Big Anubias)
small red leaves (senegalensis, rotala)
fuzzy red leaves (Myrio tuberculatum, wallichii)
Big splash (Ammannia gracilis, Persicaria Sao Paulo)
Street (Dwarf lobelia, Acmella, Floscopa, Saururus)

Don't make the mistake of making a species list. Get a color/texture/shape/contrast list first. Species is irrelevant at the starting stage. Aim for colors, height, shape, textures in your mind' eye. Once the blue print is nailed down THEN go shopping for plants. If you cant find all the plants you want, put in cheap place holders from LFS.

Draw out the layout on a big piece of paper.

Don't put two green stems next to each other. If you do, separate with a branch or make sure there is a huge height difference (example: Limno Mini Vietnam next to tall Rotala mac green)
Don't put two reds next to each other.
Don't put two grasses next to each other.
Don't put two rosettes next to each other.
Don't put two similar colors next to each other.

Make compact, dense groups separated by some space. Give groups some elbow room from each other. Find a journal here by Chalupa Batman? Track it down and watch what the amazing learning curve he has when it comes to grouping plants for maximum effect. Watch the progression. Mark is a master at this. He once taught me how to plant Syngo Belem to make it look like a nice round ball. Ha! I tried. It sucked, like the Syngos had stuck their collective fingers in the socket.
floppy rosettes seems like lettuce to me (like real lettuce lol) and its pretty, will put on the list! :) and the other plants im still researching up on, also I like your comment thank you so much for the advice, ill look back on it later and ill also try to find that batman guy

#32 ·
I did a semi-Dutch tank for a year or two. It's now a farm/experiment tank. Journal here: Going Dutch with Aquasoil - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

It's a lot of fun. Make sure you have an open tank that you reach in and trim and move things around. Aquasoil is nice, but can get a cloudy if you move plants around a lot - and you will need to move them around a lot. You can do it with Eco-complete as well. I had better luck with aquasoil.

You will probably need more than 1 species per foot to get good effect. If I recall it's 3 per foot. My 180 gal (6-foot) was meant to have 18 species, but it invariably climbed from collectoritis to 20 -25 speices. It now has 50 species but it is not longer a Dutch tank. :)

True Dutch styles also use rosette plants, which have fallen out of favor. Hard to get the contrast you need without rosettes.

Think:
floppy rosettes (Nymphea, new swords, some aponogetons)
vertical grasses (Cyperus, Vals, Isoetes, Crypts, Erio feather duster, etc)
soft mosses (so many these days)
fuzzy green stems (Pogo erectus, Limno indica)
round round (Bacopa, Lindernia,)
green big leaf stems (Giant hygro, Big buce, Big Anubias)
small red leaves (senegalensis, rotala)
fuzzy red leaves (Myrio tuberculatum, wallichii)
Big splash (Ammannia gracilis, Persicaria Sao Paulo)
Street (Dwarf lobelia, Acmella, Floscopa, Saururus)

Don't make the mistake of making a species list. Get a color/texture/shape/contrast list first. Species is irrelevant at the starting stage. Aim for colors, height, shape, textures in your mind' eye. Once the blue print is nailed down THEN go shopping for plants. If you cant find all the plants you want, put in cheap place holders from LFS.

Draw out the layout on a big piece of paper.

Don't put two green stems next to each other. If you do, separate with a branch or make sure there is a huge height difference (example: Limno Mini Vietnam next to tall Rotala mac green)
Don't put two reds next to each other.
Don't put two grasses next to each other.
Don't put two rosettes next to each other.
Don't put two similar colors next to each other.

Make compact, dense groups separated by some space. Give groups some elbow room from each other. Find a journal here by Chalupa Batman? Track it down and watch what the amazing learning curve he has when it comes to grouping plants for maximum effect. Watch the progression. Mark is a master at this. He once taught me how to plant Syngo Belem to make it look like a nice round ball. Ha! I tried. It sucked, like the Syngos had stuck their collective fingers in the socket.

#36 ·
+1 on shrimps - amanos or blue tigers or some nice colored neos.

I wouldn't get snails. They will uproot things and annoy delicate plants and hang off your stems.

#41 ·
I was thinking about the regular, Ghost Shrimp, is that a good type of shrimp for this aquarium type? And Cherry Shrimp are very small (to me) which is a good think but will the fish eat them? all the fish ill have is like 2 discus and some tetras, probs some other fish here and there as I go.

#42 ·
Yah, shrimps will be food, for discus especially. You have to get full grown discus. Don't raise juveniles in a planted tank. From what I've seen and read, you need to feed the juvies frequently and clean the tank every day or their growth will be stunted and get sick. Your can't clean a planted tank to their needs. Even as adults, they'll need a pretty clean tank or they'll get sick. It's definitely not a beginner's fish.

#43 ·
ive been in the aquarium thing for like 5 years, but I have pretty good experience with discus. they can survive in the dutch aquarium but with some different, requirements?? witch I am very more than happy to apply to the setup. Lol discus run in my family its kind of weird really, my mom had discus, my boss which at one point he was like a father to me, he had discus, it goes on and on lol. u also have some ideas about getting a separate discus tank, clear bottom 40G with a pair in there, true pair, same for the 75G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.