The Planted Tank Forum banner

Attaching plants to driftwood?

45K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  Tonysfishbowl 
#1 ·
I've read online that some aquarist have been attaching anubias and other plants to driftwood with Super Glue Gel. Will that really work?

#2 ·
Yes, super glue gel is very popular in the salt hobby for attaching corals. It's not toxic, but you have to move quick under water. Water catalyzes the reaction, but you have a couple seconds with the gel. Alternately you could pull the wood out and attach them outside the tank.

For plants, most seem to like cotton thread. It lasts long enough for the plant to attach, then decomposes.

Reactions: simplesue
#6 ·
I have a sort of related question--so I hope Im not derailing the OP.

Once you have used super glue to hold the plants on--lets say you werent real careful about it and got some glue on the wood that isnt covered by plants. So, now you have these ugly white splotches on your pretty Mopani wood--how would you get those off?

#8 ·
I have a sort of related question--so I hope Im not derailing the OP.

Once you have used super glue to hold the plants on--lets say you werent real careful about it and got some glue on the wood that isnt covered by plants. So, now you have these ugly white splotches on your pretty Mopani wood--how would you get those off?
Just carefully scrape it off with the tip of a knife. I glued Mini Pellia onto a piece of wood and it did great.

Question frmo above: HC = Hemiantus Calchitroides

Craig

#17 ·
Just make sure you get super glue with cyanoacrylate as the main ingredient. The gel type is easier to work with thoug. But the regular non-gel type will work, it't just WAAAAY easier to use the gel since it will stay in a clump under water and yuo can just glob it on and then shove it under water to stick it whereever you want. I've been doing it with the coral frags in my reef tank for years.

I've probably got a good 50 tubes of super glue in my reef tank with no ill effects.

#30 ·
I've never tried it underwater as this thread suggests but find it easy to do with wet wood, just pulled out. The glue doesn't "dry" as other glues but uses the water as part of a reaction so wet is good! I work to use as tiny amount as practical due to the glue turning white underwater, then just use some metal item like tweezers or knife point to hold a root to the wood and add the glue or add glue and then hold the root for a second. Big point is to not use so much it shows bad or glue the fingers!!
Worst case for too big a glue spot? Add another plant!

#31 ·
As suggested it's much easier to do with the wood removed from the aquarium. I usually keep it fairly dry by damping the area with a paper towel to absorb excess water. Put a few drops on the plant that will contact the wood (usually the rhizome, even the roots. The more anchor points the better. You don't need alot and hold it steady against the wood for 15 seconds or so. That usually gives it a good solid hold.

#35 ·
Wow, this thread has been snatched from the dead for the 3rd time. :D
I've had mixed luck with superglue both in and out of the water. I have fat fingers and get frustrated trying to tie plants with thread. I've started mostly using rubber bands on rocks and push pins on driftwood. Black rubber bands can be pretty unobtrusive depending on the rocks or driftwood and the plants. On Java ferns and small anubius I just use a small piece of black lava rock for a weight and rubber band them on. You can set them on the bottom and on other larger rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.