The Planted Tank Forum banner

have the wood in place,,,now what plants?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  majaxx 
#1 ·
Hi, Im new to planted tanks.
but not new to fish tanks, I have a big 150g cichlid tank,

Well this is a 10g tank i have, so i want to get into setting up planted tanks, so i thought i would start with this small guy.

Well the first pic is real with the wood in place,
2nd pic is a rough photoshop i did with my idea of what i want...(kinda)

looking for opinions of what plants to add...
remember i do not know any plants except java fern and java moss lol.

I wanted java moss all over the wood...(its hard to photshop that) but it looks ok like that too.... i duno im losing sleep over what i should do, then found this place lolololol

well lets see what everyone comes up with.....

Thank you!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You may be able to get the one in the center to stay since the wood is kind of rough there. The plants on the right piece of wood may not stick well since the wood is so smooth. You could always just tie them with some string and hope they attach by the time the string rots away. Maybe drill some holes for the roots to grow through? Or maybe attach some mesh to the wood for the roots to grab, hide it with moss after you tie everything on... That's the best solution I can come up with

#5 ·
You will have trouble with most plants other than moss, anubius and java fern. They will attach perminately on there own. There are some other plants that will as well I am sure. Regular stem plants, even if you give the roots something to grow into, will likely be pretty easily distiurbed and fall off. I believe a member on the board, TexGirl, has glosso on her driftwood though, maybe look at her journal and get advice from her.

#6 ·
The wood works looks great. The plan looks great. But sorry to say but the ferns won't stay small like that. Yes, I think it was TexGal who did an anubias petite and glosso tree. From the look of her glosso/petite tree, it looked like she just let the glosso grow on the roots and rhyzome of the petite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.